• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confronted in Driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sevans24

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My brother was coming home from work around 3:00 am, as he normally does. And, as always, he parks in the driveway and sits in his car until he finishes his cigarette. I don't doubt that he had is music on, but definitely not loud enough to attract a police officer. As he was sitting in his car, the policeman shone his light and ordered my brother to exit the vehicle. The policeman then proceeded to frisk my brother and had him remove everything from his pockets. The officer claimed that he smelled marijuana at that point and proceeded to search the car. Now I know for a fact that he did not smell anything because i know for a fact that my brother does not smoke. Unfortunately, the search did result in the finding of prescription drugs, not prescribed to my brother of course, and he was arrested.

Now I do understand the premise of search with probable cause or suspicion, but I was wondering how suspicious a person could be while sitting in their car, in their own driveway, albeit at an early morning hour......Obviously it is not unlawful to stop and search someone in their own driveway. And as history tells me, my brother is one of the most cautious and anal drivers I know, so an earlier traffic violation made on the way home is highly unlikely. So under what premise would such an occurance be warranted? And can anything about this situation be considered inadmissable?

CdwJava

sevans24 said:
Now I do understand the premise of search with probable cause or suspicion, but I was wondering how suspicious a person could be while sitting in their car, in their own driveway, albeit at an early morning hour......Obviously it is not unlawful to stop and search someone in their own driveway. And as history tells me, my brother is one of the most cautious and anal drivers I know, so an earlier traffic violation made on the way home is highly unlikely. So under what premise would such an occurance be warranted? And can anything about this situation be considered inadmissable?
I can make a dozen guesses as to why the officer contacted him, but i would only be guessing. Something about the scene attracted the officer - it was either his actions before pulling into his driveway, or it was something about his being in the driveway at 3 AM. In any event, no one could possibly argue ALL the possible reasons an officer could make contact in this situation.

There will be a court hearing where your brother's attorney will have a chance to suppress the evidence by arguing lack of reasonable suspicion to make the contact. However, depending on why the officer made contact, this may be a non-issue and may not even be able to be raised.

His attorney will have to review the police report, first.

And, what was he doing with someone else's drugs??

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">