• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbmakayla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA.

How long does TX really have to come and get someone from WA. I heard it was 10 days and then I heard it was 30 days. Im pretty sure all the paperwork will be done by the time his release date is here. please help.- Confused.

outonbail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA.

How long does TX really have to come and get someone from WA. I heard it was 10 days and then I heard it was 30 days. Im pretty sure all the paperwork will be done by the time his release date is here. please help.- Confused.
It depends on whether the wanted person fights the extradition or agrees to go voluntarily.

If he didn't choose to fight the extradition, the agency who issued the warrant, has thirty days to come get him. The thirty days will begin on the same day as his extradition hearing takes place and the issuing state/agency is notified. If the issuing state decides they are not going to come get him, they usually inform the holding agency they will not be extraditing and he would then be released from custody. This is usually known before the extradition hearing because if the issuing state is not going to extradite, there is no purpose in having a hearing.

Now if he fights the extradition, then there is a more complicated process which the agency who seeks extradition, must go through. In this case, the agency has ninety days to complete the process and pick him up.

Now your post reads like this person is in custody in Washington, for an unrelated offense. In other words, when he was arrested for a crime in the state of Washington, he already had an outstanding warrant issued on him due to a separate matter he was charged with in the state of Texas.

If so, then the 30 or 90 day period wouldn't start until he serves out his time in Washington and when he finishes serving whatever sentence he received in WA, he would then be held either the 30 day or for the 90 day time period, depending on his plea at the extradition hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">