• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused on what I can do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacowgurl23

What is the name of your state? California

:confused:

Saturday night, my boyfriend was pulled over for running a red light. The light was yellow when he went through it, but cop still pulled him over. He had committed a felony back 10 years ago. Not even realizing that they issued a warrant for his arrest in 1998 for violation of probation and failure to appear for court. He had not even realized that the court date was issued. He is being held in jail here in town, but the warrant was issued out of another county. My question is, is how long can they hold him in jail before having to release him, if the county does not come get him? Also, what can happen to him? I have his two sons (we all live together) still and would like to know what may happen. It is now Tuesday afternoon, he has been in there since Saturday evening.

Thanks for any advice can give.

TYRIS

cacowgurl23 said:
What is the name of your state? California

:confused:

Saturday night, my boyfriend was pulled over for running a red light. The light was yellow when he went through it, but cop still pulled him over. He had committed a felony back 10 years ago. Not even realizing that they issued a warrant for his arrest in 1998 for violation of probation and failure to appear for court. He had not even realized that the court date was issued. He is being held in jail here in town, but the warrant was issued out of another county. My question is, is how long can they hold him in jail before having to release him, if the county does not come get him? Also, what can happen to him? I have his two sons (we all live together) still and would like to know what may happen. It is now Tuesday afternoon, he has been in there since Saturday evening.

Thanks for any advice can give.

-Regardless of whether the light was yellow or red, the fact remains that he had a felony warrant for his arrest. They can hold him until he makes bail (unless the warrant is a "no bail" warrant), or the issuing county picks him up.

What can happen to him depends on what he was charged with, which you did not state.

If he has a violation of probation, the minimum they can do is revoke his probation for the term of his sentence. Any subsequent charges will have different penalties.

cacowgurl23

The cop who pulled him over never did charge him with the red light violation, so we are aware that it does not make any difference.

The charge back 10 yrs ago was Grand Theft. But he has been clean since with no other charges on his record. He was sure he had served all of his probation, until I had called the court house today to find out why the warrant was issued. I do know that once warrants are issued, they stay until it is fixed.

It is a "no bail" warrant, but can they continue to hold him if the county does not come get him is my question... And if so, how long is usual time being held in the different county?

Thanks for the advice in advance....

Well, they transfered him at 7 am this morning to the county the warrant was issued. They do wait til the last time possible before getting him. He would have been released this afternoon if not picked up. But they came to get him. He is now waiting to see a judge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">