• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Considering Fleeing DUI Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acidrayne

I am living in Colorado for the past 4 months and I got a DUI a couple of days ago. I read that the statute of limitations is 18 months on DUI's in colorado but I'm not sure this is accurate, can anyone answer this?

I have two DUI's in wisconsin and am considering going back to there since I already legally dealt with those DUI's and have family there.

Also, does anyone know the extradition laws for colorado and if I can still be extradited when the statute of limitations runs out? Would they normally even extradite for a misdemeanor like this?

Thanks for any help on this, I'd appreciate anything.

CdwJava

If you fail to appear, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Warrants do not just time out, they last forever. Additionally, your license will be suspended in CO and eventually that will catch up to you in WI. Even if they do not extradite you, you will lose your license.

Also, warrants can prevent access to good jobs, can result in unpleasant law enforcement contacts, detentions and arrests even if no extradition is eventually requested, and can prevent access to welfare, social security, and government backed loans for housing, business, and school.

So, you can live life as a fugitive for the next umpteen years, or stand and deal with it.

- Carl

Regardless what the statute of limitations is, it will not help you. That only applies to how long they have to charge you for a crime.

If you don't show up for your trial, you will most likely be tried, convicted, and sentenced in absentia. My guess is, if that happens, you will get the absolute maximum penalty allowed by law.

How long since your other DUI's? This one could be a felony. They would likely extradite you if it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">