• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consignment selling turned out stolen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chuxluv

Texas, Let me tell you about myself I have a auto repair business & paint/body shop with a performance retail outlet.I own the building and have been in the same location for 23 years.
I was getting real good at selling on ebay & customers were leaving items for me to try and sell for them on a commission.
I had a man well dresses who said he heard that I sold items for a commission and he wanted me to try and sell some overstock items and discontinued items.
He brought two handy cap scooters and some brochures to look at. I proceeded to sell them on ebay and shipped them.The scooters were in a factory sealed box with the warranty cards and instruction sheets.He brought several different types to sell and even some of the his lift chairs in different colors.The lift chairs didn't sell very good and he would change the colors out and some would have different options heater/massage.He would come by in about two/three weeks and pick up some Items and deliver different type scooters and chairs and I would pay him than.He knew what they sold for as it was easy to see on ebay.I would some times make something on the shipping & handling that was all mine. Police came to my shop one day and took all the scooters and lift chairs.There was No arrest.
A month later they came with pictures for me to identify him,I could not.Now 9/3/05 I have a regular letter mailed to me to appear if I want to a grand jury hearing with pending charges of THEFT of Over 20,000/receiving and concealing on 9/08/05. I was not try to conceal anything when I listed them on ebay with my business address. I even gave potential buyers the mfg web site links. I had shown on my listing I was also not a dealer. Since this a holiday weekend contacting a lawyer and getting in short notice might be a problem.Do I go even though the letter was not registered? What will become of this?

Curt581

chuxluv said:
A month later they came with pictures for me to identify him,I could not.
What do you mean, you could not?

You've been selling this guy's goods under YOUR Ebay User ID for how long, and you never thought to find out who the supplier is, or whether or not you were selling stolen merchandise?

What were you thinking? :eek:
Do I go even though the letter was not registered?
You had better go... Sound like you're one of the subjects in a major theft investigation. If you don't want to end up as the primary target, you've got to show up and you'd better give up the name of the supplier.
What will become of this?
No one can answer that. Potentially, you could face jail time, and/or loss of your business and property.

chuxluv

What do you mean, you could not?

Texas....When they brought the pictures to me to look at,it was hard to tell one guy from another.They all looked alike.
The guy could fill a order if someone wanted something different and if it was available making me think he was nothing but a good business man.

I took him like I took the men who deliver my batteries,fuel & oil filters,etc:they deliver stock and every so often the would come buy and say what was missing in stock and I would pay them and the would restock and install any new type items they thought I might need.
Scooters are in really big and heavy boxes there was no way I would have thought they were stolen,especially when there were so many different types.When he asked me to sell the lift chairs and people wanted a different color he would get it for me.

I gave them his name( I only new his first name) and I also gave them his phone number.

Stupid ? Maybe? Naive absolutely!!

What else can I do?

Last edited:

chuxluv

Case sent to grand jury

Texas,

Well the case was sent to the Grand Jury.They sent me a letter in the mail, for thief over $20,000.00 and it was not registered or certified. I thought about ignoring it but after contacting a lawyer he said I should go to the grand jury hearing. He charged me $800.00 to tell me that!
I went to the grand jury and told them my story and they nobilled the charges.
My question is will I be charged again in a different way at a later date?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">