• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conspirecy to comit theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mymichelle

What is the name of your state? Oregon
In 2002 I was ordered to a DAP class and pay $150 in fines. I left the state soon after and now live in Texas. For reasons umentioned I thought the case was dropped, come to find out while appling for a new job I have a warrent out for my arrest and a feloney. I called the DAs office to see what I could do but they are insistant that I appear in court. There is a charge on my consumer credit report for the $150 what are my options? I should also mention that my court appointed attorney is no longer available.

outonbail

What is the name of your state? Oregon
In 2002 I was ordered to a DAP class and pay $150 in fines. I left the state soon after and now live in Texas. For reasons umentioned I thought the case was dropped
When a case is dropped or dismissed, there is never any order to take classes or pay a fine. Once you have been ordered to do these things, you have already been found guilty of a crime. The classes and the fine is your punishment and it is ordered to teach you that what you did was illegal and hopefully, ensure that you don't make the same mistake again.
Classes and a $150.00 fine is the equivalent of a slap on the hand. Obviously it didn't have any effect, so you can expect to be slapped a little harder when you turn yourself in.

If you don't turn yourself in and wait until they pick you up on the warrant, you can expect to be slapped much harder.

Not turning yourself in to resolve the situation is simply postponing the inevitable, as the warrant never disappears, so sooner or later you will be making that trip to Oregon.

If your stopped by the police in Texas and the warrant comes up, they can bring you to jail and you can sit there for thirty days while Oregon decides whether or not they want to bother going to Texas to pick you up. If it's a misdemeanor warrant, they probably will not bother coming for you, but this is not guaranteed and you can still sit in jail while Texas is waiting for Oregon to make a decision.

FlyingRon

$150 would hardly be costs in most cases. I don't know what DAP is, but my guess is that you absconded from a diversion probation. Yep, you'll have to go back and you blew your get out of jail free card on that one.

mymichelle

I failed to mention that there were two charges the first was dropped after I moved to TX. I didn't appear when this happened

What would happen if I wrote to the judge explaining my circumstances?
Would it be a good idea to contact a lawyer in OR before I went up there?

AlanShore

I failed to mention that there were two charges the first was dropped after I moved to TX. I didn't appear when this happened

What would happen if I wrote to the judge explaining my circumstances?
Would it be a good idea to contact a lawyer in OR before I went up there?
Hire a lawyer in Oregon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">