• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Constitutional Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kgutierrez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
What happends if my boyfriend did not "waive" his rights? He was also taken back the next day for sentencing and was not informed of his rights. The D.A said it, but he then had a question for his lawyer and when they came back the D.A continued from where she left off but he did not say "I waive my rights", or "Yes, I give up my rights." He is currently in County Jail waiting for his transfer to State Prison.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
What happends if my boyfriend did not "waive" his rights? He was also taken back the next day for sentencing and was not informed of his rights. The D.A said it, but he then had a question for his lawyer and when they came back the D.A continued from where she left off but he did not say "I waive my rights", or "Yes, I give up my rights." He is currently in County Jail waiting for his transfer to State Prison.
What rights? His Miranda rights when arrested? If Miranda was an issue, that should have been raised at trial. But, I am going to guess that he did not go to trial and instead pled guilty and is now having second thoughts.

I assume he pled guilty to some crime that is sending him to prison? If so, then he was asked by the judge whether he made this decision on his own accord, etc. If he felt he was being coerced or did not understand the plea, that was his chance to say something. If he wishes to withdraw the plea and go to trial, he'd better move fast because it may well be too late. However, any admission he made in court can be used against him at trial.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">