• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

continuance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kful518@hotmail

What is the name of your state? florida

Hello. I have an upcooming trial date next week (jul 25) and i am in no way shape or for prepared. i have just now (i think ) gotten an atty, but cant see hin til its almost too late. can i personally request a continuance or is that something only attys. can do? if so how do i do it? time is of the essence here, a prompt response would be GREATLY appreciated

garrula lingua

Go to court; ask that your case be calendared (heard that day in court).
Tell the Prosecutor you won't be ready to go on trial date.

Ask the Prosecutor to agree to a continuance.
Whatever the Prosecutor says, appear in court, before the Judge, and explain to the Judge.

Do all this immediately; do not wait til the day of trial, or the Judge and Prosecutor can refuse to delay the trial & the entire jury panel will be there, waiting to serve jury duty.

kful518@hotmail

scot4538 said:
Your attn'y will request additional time to review the case.
i do not have an atty., that is why i need more time among other reasons, but obviously taht is the most importanti am in florida,mwhat would you do now?

garrula lingua

garrula lingua said:
Go to court; ask that your case be calendared (heard that day in court).
Tell the Prosecutor you won't be ready to go on trial date.

Ask the Prosecutor to agree to a continuance.
Whatever the Prosecutor says, appear in court, before the Judge, and explain to the Judge.

Do all this immediately; do not wait til the day of trial, or the Judge and Prosecutor can refuse to delay the trial & the entire jury panel will be there, waiting to serve jury duty.

Do not wait for an attorney to act on your behalf - you are your own atty right now - see above.
If you wait & don't do this, expect the Judge & Prosecutor to be really ticked at you. You have to resolve this NOW. Don't wait for your unpaid atty to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">