• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cops guilty of slander??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ostricheye

What is the name of your state? California

My house was raided last week, the police had a search warrant and prodeeded to find meth amphetamine for distribution. Apparently my home had been under surveillance. My next door neighbors (in a condominium type setting) often visited. On the day of the raid, they yelled and screamed "NO MORE DRUGS ON*****STREET!! NO MORE DRUGS!!" If they had pots and wooden spoons they would have used them- I am not exaggerating, the extent of their hoopla was so ridiculous, everyone on the block was out to see the theatrics. Then they started to call out, "NO MORE DRUGS FOR YOU APT.C-NO MORE DRUG VISITS FOR YOU APT C!!" pointed at my neighbors. My neighbor would like to know his rights concerning these slanderous remarks that the whole neighborhood heard. Can he sue the police?

CdwJava

ostricheye said:
My neighbor would like to know his rights concerning these slanderous remarks that the whole neighborhood heard. Can he sue the police?
Okay ... on a second reading, it seems you are alleging that the POLICE were yelling this stuff out. If so, it is VERY unprofessional and COULD possibly be slanderous. However, unless your neighbor can guarantee that he has never purchased or used drugs before he had best stay out of court on the matter ... the two of you likely do NOT know what evidence they might have.

Also, if you are that concerned about your neighbors then maybe you should stop slinging the dope.

He should certainly complain to the department about their behavior. If he thinks he has grounds for a slander suit of some kind then he needs to consult an attorney.

- Carl

Last edited:

outonbail

Did your neighbor get any video of this demonstration?

Your neighbor(s) will have to prove what damages they have suffered as a result of the demonstration by police.

For examplem who thinks less of them because of the accusations made by the police.

Certainly not you!

I'm curious, have to ask, what city police department staged this demonstration on the day of the raid?

ostricheye

Details of the Spectacular Police Demonstration

It was the Huntington Beach police. If only someone had the presence of mind to capture that on film! At the time I thought it must be some method of humiliation to deter one from this sort of activity. It was shocking to say the least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">