• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corporation vs. ME!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plutoguy05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I currently live in NJ.

Nearly a month ago, I was detained in a store for "shoplifting." Officers who later arrived, questioned me while being detained. In short, there was no arrest, however, they conducted a background check and Xeroxed my ID information. I was informed that I would received a court date scheduling in the mail within two weeks. I haven't received the notice and I called the courthouse several times to inquire about a date, however, there is no trace of my name in their system. I figured since I have a clean background they did not pursue it.

Last week, I received a notice from the corporation; it is now seeking financial restitution for damages. The corporation is pursuing civil action based on events a store manager believes occurred. To no avail, I professed my innocence throughout the entire ordeal and that the situation was truly a misunderstanding--which it was. As such, based on the interpretation of the store manager, the corporation is pursuing civil action against me. I have even phoned the corporation and explicitly explained the misunderstanding to them and it stated regardless of whether or not the item was removed from the store, I remain responsible for its cost. The corporation is demanding reparation, an amount equal to the cost of the item, $150.00. Moreover, the item was recovered! I do not want to satisfy their demands as I am innocent. Essentially they would make a profit off of absolutely nothing! After all is said and done, I do not want to make this a costly affair. The cost of lawyers alone will exceed the amount they are demanding...not to mention court fees.

What should I do? Is it possible that I can correspond with them to arrive at some understanding or agreement that doesn't involve money? Really what can I do??

Thank you.

racer72

Pay the civil assessment. Even though the item you stole was recovered, it cannot be sold as it must be held as evidence against you. The retailer is entitled to the lost revenue because of this and the costs of the loss prevention. You can try to negotiate but don't count on them to do so. If you don't pay the fine you will be sued and then you can add court and attorney fees to the fine. Plus the hit you will take on your credit.

plutoguy05

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting--especially so quickly. I have briefly considered paying the assessment only as it's the least harrowing of options. I feel as though I am cooperating with a common thief, (quite ironic really, as I am being accused of the same infraction). So much of my life has taken place within this past month and I want to bury this ordeal. This is truly a flawed system, where one pays for a crime he didn't commit. Regardless of which, even after the assessment is paid, what will happen to the item? Where will it be held and can it ever be sold?

Curious to know, in the event that I am sued...I certainly do not have the funds to advance for a settlement, what will happen? Incarceration? In reference to credit, will the $150.00 or accumulative court costs leave the residue on my credit abstract?

Most of all, would my situation be documented for access to those who perform background checks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">