• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Counterfeit money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swimfan86

If you reported someone who has counterfeit money to the Secret Service but no longer want to proceed because of guilt is this wrong? Can I be punished for knowing?

Antigone*

If you reported someone who has counterfeit money to the Secret Service but no longer want to proceed because of guilt is this wrong? Can I be punished for knowing?
Yes you can be punished for knowing. You would be an accomplice at that point.

antrc170

Simple knowledge of a crime does not make you an accomplice to that crime, and is not a chargable offense. That is an absurd notion. To be considered an accomplice under 18 USC 3, you have to have knowledge of the crime and act in a manner to aid or comfort the criminal in such a way as to hinder or prevent their capture.

So if you know you're friend did something illegal then you need to seperate yourself from him. If you allow him to stay at your place, store equipment used in a crime, etc, then you could be facing criminal conspiracy, acessory after the fact charges.

Antigone*

Simple knowledge of a crime does not make you an accomplice to that crime, and is not a chargable offense. That is an absurd notion. To be considered an accomplice under 18 USC 3, you have to have knowledge of the crime and act in a manner to aid or comfort the criminal in such a way as to hinder or prevent their capture.

So if you know you're friend did something illegal then you need to seperate yourself from him. If you allow him to stay at your place, store equipment used in a crime, etc, then you could be facing criminal conspiracy, acessory after the fact charges.
You tell that to the Secret Service when they come knocking at your door over:rolleyes:.

"Sure sir. I knew about it. I actually told on them, but now I've decided that I feel guilty about the whole thing. I really didn't see anything... Anything at all."

antrc170

You tell that to the Secret Service when they come knocking at your door over:rolleyes:.

"Sure sir. I knew about it. I actually told on them, but now I've decided that I feel guilty about the whole thing. I really didn't see anything... Anything at all."
Why couldn't you? What are they going to charge you with? The simple fact is, knowledge of the crime doens't make the OP a criminal. This same situation happens all the time. People report a crime and then for whatever reason, maybe they are bullied or whatever, refuse to cooperate further. Once again, that is not a crime.

Will the Secret Service pressure the OP into making further statements? Probably. Will they throw him in jail if he doesn't? No.

The Secret Service will have to get a subpeona demanding that the OP testify. If the OP refuses to testify, he can be held in contempt because that is an administrative crime.

Some Random Guy

And in this example, not only are you concealing the facts from the Secret Service, but you are also lying to them, so sould could be charged as an accomplice or with obstruction or for lying to a federal official. Remember Martha Stewart?

Your problem is that you have already gotten the authorities involved so its hard to turn back now.

You say that you "no longer want to proceed because of guilt". Do you mean that the person with the funny money feels remorseful, that you have a chance of being criminally convicted yourself, or just that you feel bad about turning someone in?

The remorse of the defendant is a matter for the judge/jury.

Your criminal liability is something you can negotiate in exchange for your info/testimony.

Your feeling guilty is misplaced - why should you feel bad that others are committing crimes, stealing from victims by giving them worthless paper in exchange for their merchandise?

Why couldn't you? What are they going to charge you with? The simple fact is, knowledge of the crime doens't make the OP a criminal. This same situation happens all the time. People report a crime and then for whatever reason, maybe they are bullied or whatever, refuse to cooperate further. Once again, that is not a crime.

Will the Secret Service pressure the OP into making further statements? Probably. Will they throw him in jail if he doesn't? No.

The Secret Service will have to get a subpeona demanding that the OP testify. If the OP refuses to testify, he can be held in contempt because that is an administrative crime.
So what happens if they force you to testify and you keep saying "I dont know" on the stand? How can they prove you do know something?

CdwJava

So what happens if they force you to testify and you keep saying "I dont know" on the stand? How can they prove you do know something?
Because the OP said they already reported them. So, apparently, they DID know something about it.

One cannot un-ring the bell once tolled. Once they report such an offense, they cannot say they no longer want to be involved. It just does not work that way.

Now, if the OP's information is such that it implicates him or her as an accomplice, then it might be in his/her best interest to shut up and consult legal counsel. But, unless it would implicate them, the state can subpoena the OP to testify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">