• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Couple Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

im*no*angel

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hi,

My questions are at the bottom.My reason for asking these questions is that I would like to return to Tennessee,but I would like to have all this straight first.

In June of 1995,I was arrested for 2 bad checks,Both misdemeaners.I was given 10 days in jail and 1 year suspended sentence and had the usual fines,court costs,restitution.When I was released I got a job and started paying on the fines and such.In April of 1996 I filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy where I had payments coming out of my paychecks for my debts.I was told by the lawyer handling my bankruptcy that I could put these fines,court costs,restitution on my bankruptcy and they would be paid thru the garnishment coming from my check.So I stopped paying on everything,I assumed payments were coming out of my check to cover all the fines etc.

In August of 1996 I was arrested for non payment of fines.I went to court,explained to the judge about having all that put on my bankruptcy,and being told that it would be paid via the garnishments.I was still given 10 days community service.I felt that that wasn't right that I should be given any kind of sentence when I was told by the bankruptcy lawyer that I could do that. I begged the bankruptcy lawyer to please call the judge and explain that to him and the lawyer wouldn't do that.The fines were paid off by me not thru my bankruptcy by March of 1997.

I refused to do the community service and by September of 1997 I was given 10 days in jail to be served on weekends and still had the 10 days of community service to do.Not having any other option,I started doing the weekends.I served my first weekend,went back to do my 2nd weekend,waited 3 hours to be booked in,only to find out they have my name down to be doing weekends,and was told to go home by the jailer.Nothing more was ever said. In January of 1998 I was served with a summons to go to court again in February over the community service.I also consulted a lawyer at that time and was told that I could fight it,Something about that I couldn't be given another punishment stemming from the same crime after the 1 year suspendend was past.The lawyer said they could fight it for at least $2000 to pay her.I just gave up and moved to another state.I am assuming that I have a warrant for me for not showing up for court.

My question.Does this drop out of the system after a certain amount of time like a statute of limitations?Is there any way I can fix this if it doesn't? I don't have the money it would take to hire a lawyer.

My other question.My husband at the time in 97,Now my ex,had wrote 6 bad checks on an old account I had in another county.All misdemeaners.When I found out,I picked up 3 of the checks and told the stores I would pick up the others when I could.I never did.So I assume that there may be a warrant for those.My question,is there some kind of statute of limitations on bad checks.Of course since I had moved,warrants were never served and I never went to court for these.

Thank You Very Much For Your Time,

Kane

Warrants don't expire, and the statute of limitations doesn't apply to them.

I don't know of any simple or easy way to take care of your problems. You need to either hire a lawyer, or turn yourself in and hope for the best.

im*no*angel

yes that's what I am leaning toward doing the first of the year.Kind of hoping I could just take care of it without actually having to go into a courtroom,or at least know what I'll be walking into.

Kane

Not being from TN, I can't really say what you'll be facing. If it's anything like it is here, putting aside some money to pay off those checks will be a big help.

seniorjudge

im*no*angel said:
yes that's what I am leaning toward doing the first of the year.Kind of hoping I could just take care of it without actually having to go into a courtroom,or at least know what I'll be walking into.
Surrender.

It's the only way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">