• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court on the 30th for park curfew ticket from 3 years ago?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ganjii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Ok so I'll try to make this short. About 3 years ago a friend and I were in her car in the park after hours because the car had died so we pulled into the parking lot. Minutes later the cop comes up and gives us both park curfew tickets. We ask for a jump and have cables and she says she can't help.

Anyways I didn't go to the court date and now here it is 3 years later and obviously I found out I had a warrant for my arrest. So I went down to the courthouse and paid what they call a walk-in bond. I paid the warrant, so that's gone, and I have a new court date.

What is the worst that can happen? Will I face jail time for having this warrant out on me for 3 years and for park curfew? In your honest opinion what will happen? Also I have no idea what to say to the judge for why I didn't go.. To be honest I missed my bus and ontop of that I was very upset as to why we got the ticket and the cop refused to help us. I mean park curfew is a very petty charge..Please, very worried. Thanks for any help or advice.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The fact that you failed to appear and had a warrant should have no effect on whatever your penalty is if found/plead guilty to the charge.

The warrant is over and done with. You will go to court on the original charge. Since you didn't post the law and section you were charged with, no one knows what the possible penalties are.

Ganjii

What do you mean when you say I "didn't post the law and section"?

I do have the papers here that they gave me when I paid for the bond.

It says charges: 39-3

Ganjii

I meant that you didn't post the law and section that you were charged with. Just like I said the first time.
So where would I find the law and section?? I'm sorry I don't quite understand, but I am thankful for your time in replying.

HighwayMan

That information would be on the original ticket you received.

You say it's on the paperwork you got when you posted bond, but "39-3" doesn't seem to be a state law. Where in Colorado did this offense occur?

Ganjii

Sorry, this was in Denver, Colorado. In Denver county.

Also I do not have the original ticket as this happened 3 years ago. All I have now is the paper I got after paying the walk-thru bond.

HighwayMan

Looks like the charge is for a violation of the Denver Revised Municipal Code 39-3, which states:

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than authorized personnel, to go upon or remain in any park, mountain park or other recreational facility between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. ("curfew") or at any time the same is declared to be closed to the public by the manager ("closure"). Closure occurs when the property is posted for "no entry," "no trespass" or similar language or is barricaded so that entry can only be achieved by crossing or bypassing the barricade. This provision shall not be applicable to persons attending events for which a permit has been issued by the manager which expressly authorizes use of the park, mountain park or other recreational facility during curfew or closure; however, it shall be unlawful for any person to fail to comply with the terms and conditions of said permit. If security is needed for an event for which a permit has been issued, the manager may waive the curfew or closure requirements for security personnel.

Chapter 39 of the DRMC deals with Parks and Recreation. I don't see any references to penalties for violations. I would have to guess it's simply a fine in this case. I'll poke around some though.

Ganjii

Thank you, I really do appreciate it. I court date is set for the 30th of this month. I can handle a fine, I just really am worried about going to jail over this. I'm pretty sure the judge wouldn't give me jail time over a park curfew charge though, but, you can never be too sure.

HighwayMan

As far as I can tell, the following would apply to this violation:

Sec. 1-13. - General penalty.

(a)

Except as provided in subsections (b) through (d) of this section, whenever any section of this Code or any section of a rule or regulation promulgated hereunder requires, prohibits or declares to be unlawful the doing of any act, any violation of such section is hereby declared to be a criminal violation. If no definite fine or penalty is provided for a violation, any person who shall be convicted of a violation of any such section shall, for each offense, be fined in a sum not more than nine hundred ninety-nine dollars ($999.00) or imprisoned not to exceed one (1) year, or both so fined and imprisoned. Each day an offense and violation continue shall constitute a separate offense and violation.

HighwayMan

I can't see a park curfew charge being a very big deal. Some of the statutes under chapter 39 cover offenses alot more serious than this.

There seems to be just this general penalty section and nothing for specific offenses, so this is a catch-all to cover everything.

Ganjii

So from your experience, you're saying I wont get jail time?, just most likely charged a little more? And I know it says imprisoned but I know for a fact that it is pretty impossible to get prison time for park curfew. Hah.

HighwayMan

I have no experience in Denver or Colorado.

It seems like a relatively minor violation. It's really hard to imagine jail time being imposed as part of the penalty.

You seems to think it's "pretty impossible", though.

Ganjii

Well all I'm saying is that the charge is very petty and there are people with worse off crimes. It's not like I had additional charges along with park curfew. I honestly think this charge is ridiculous. Guess no more parks for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">