• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court date place and time is "TBD" no word from the court, been over 45 days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apextek

court date place and time is "TBD" no word from the court, been over 45 days

California, Angeles National Norest, US Rangers, US Federal Jurisdiction.
---
a group of us received a series of tickets in the Angeles National Forest from a ranger. The court date on the tickets says TBD. box A is checked on all, stating you must appear in court.

the court Date, time, and address is listed on all tickets as "TBD".

On the back of the tickets is says ifyou have not recieved a "notice to appear" in 45 days call the central violations bureau.

It has been the 48th day and still no answer from the court.

Any idea what we should do?

BL

California, Angeles National Norest, US Rangers, US Federal Jurisdiction.
---
a group of us received a series of tickets in the Angeles National Forest from a ranger. The court date on the tickets says TBD. box A is checked on all, stating you must appear in court.

the court Date, time, and address is listed on all tickets as "TBD".

On the back of the tickets is says ifyou have not recieved a "notice to appear" in 45 days call the central violations bureau.
It has been the 48th day and still no answer from the court.

Any idea what we should do?
Yep ,follow directions .

apextek

yes, but Im looking for any information toward making the best defense, Should I have a lawyer call for me? is there any loopholes in the amount of time that courts should contact you for an appearance?
If none of us have received notice on any of the tickets (9 tickets total)4 people what can we do to use this to our benefit?

CdwJava

yes, but Im looking for any information toward making the best defense, Should I have a lawyer call for me? is there any loopholes in the amount of time that courts should contact you for an appearance?
If none of us have received notice on any of the tickets (9 tickets total)4 people what can we do to use this to our benefit?
Defense against what charge? I don't see that you mentioned what you were charged with or the circumstances around the charges.

If this is a federal court, anything might be in play. Usually speedy trial time do not start until after the arraignment, so they have time to file.

if you want to hire an attorney to make the call for you, that is your choice. However, at $150-200 per hour, do you think that is worth it?

- Carl

apextek

I have 2 tickets, one for making an improvement without a permit, one for performing work with out a permit. for running a video projector off the roof of my car in the forest at a gathering, in a place that allows gatherings up to 75 people without a permit. The amount of people there was in dispute between us and the ranger,

He basically confiscated my laptop off the hood of my car and refused to return it with out ID, so that he could write a ticket.

one of my friends received resisting arrest and obstruction of justice for loading equipment in a vehicle and leaving his license in his car, A friend taped the whole incident. My friend was handcuffed and left by a tree for an hour untill the ranger realized we were taping him, and that my friend had repeatedly said to the ranger that his ID was in his car on the tape. he also received the same tickets as me for being involved in sound equipment.

to other recieved the same tickets as me for there involvement in setting up sound equipment and decor.

The ranger was trying to proove that a rave was taking place.

He repeatedly asked about admission charges and looked for flyers although there were no flyers, no admission charges, this was a group gathering with no fees, no flyers. I was a word of mouth gathering that had more people show up than expected.

We had been to this place on previous occasions, had ranger come by, take picture to make sure no damage or litter was done, then leave.

This was the first time a ranger had taken issue with this, and we had no reason to believe we were doing anything wrong.

I wasnt doing anything for money and only brought the video projector as a favor to my roomate, the last thing I thought would be I would look at a ticket that the ranger said carried up to 6 month jail and up $5000 fine each.

Im a free mason, i follow the law to the best of my knowledge and im looking at how I can avoid jail time, and fines I cannot afford for basically camping with friends and playing videos.

apextek

also Im scared that calling that number blind, i could walk into hurting my case, and want to know if there is any helpful info I should know ahead of time.
"anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law"

tranquility

There is no proceedural benefit from the court not calling you as yet. Call the court. Get a date. If you don't want to be convicted of a crime, get an attorney before the date. Simply getting your court date will not implicate your liability for the purported crime.

CdwJava

I don't see how calling and asking for a court date will be used against you, but if you are worried, hire legal counsel. An attorney will likely run you a minimum of about $1,500.

Without knowing the code sections you were cited for (and whether they are USC or local/state codes) no one can say whether there appears to be a decent case against you for the violations.

About all I can suggest is that you consult legal counsel as soon as you can.

- Carl

apextek

this is what iwas charged with
1st ticket:
Offense Charged: 36CFR 261.10(a)
construct or place improvement without a permit

2nd ticket:
perform work activity without a permit
Offense Charged: 36CFR 261.10(c)

CdwJava

this is what iwas charged with
1st ticket:
Offense Charged: 36CFR 261.10(a)
construct or place improvement without a permit
Here is the first section:

Sec. 261.10 Occupancy and use.

The following are prohibited:

(a) Constructing, placing, or maintaining any kind of road, trail,
structure, fence, enclosure, communications equipment, or other
improvement on National Forest System lands or facilities without a
special use authorization, contract, or approved operating plan, unless
such authorization, contract, or operating plan is waived pursuant to
Sec. 251.50(e) of this chapter.​

2nd ticket:
perform work activity without a permit
Offense Charged: 36CFR 261.10(c)
And, the second:

(c) Selling or offering for sale any merchandise or conducting any
kind of work activity or service unless authorized by Federal law,
regulation, or special-use authorization.​

So, the government will have to prove the allegations at any trial.

As Tranquility also posted, you lose nothing by calling and inquiring about the court date. Better to know than to keep wondering and find out months or years later that they issued a warrant for your arrest because you failed to show in court at a hearing that their records showed you had been served with notice of.

Save yourself some hassle and call.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">