• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court date set for the 20th, but I have to leave tomorrow for work -- internationally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adam1988

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello. I'm going to try and make this long story as short as possible. Basically, my friends decided to take me out for a going away get-together tonight. One of my friends ends up having an argument with a manager at a sports bar and we were asked to leave. When we left, some guy followed us outside asking him why he was being mean to the manager, then proceeded to take his shirt off and swing at my friend. They wrestled for a while, before my other friend pulled him off. The man then attacked my friend that pulled him off, and they went to the ground. People came outside to help and pulled the man off of my friend. My friend (literally) begins to run away and the man chases him down, tackles him into a truck, punches him some more, and then gets pulled away -- and goes back inside of the bar.

Mind you, during this entire altercation, me and my other friend who was with us did absolutely nothing. We didn't touch anyone, we didn't talk to anyone, we just watched. I did not want to get involved in the slightest, because I have a flight to China at 6am on Wednesday morning for pretty much my dream job. After the police come (WE called the police), me and my friends are arrested for Disorderly Conduct and the intitial instigator is nowhere to be found. That man's girlfriend comes outside and says all 4 of us jumped him, and 3 other people back up her story. Naturally, this bar's parking lot has ZERO cameras.

We were taken to the police station and booked, before eventually being allowed to leave on our own (no bail) for being calm and cooperative. I explained my situation many times, about how I didn't touch anyone or anything. In the end, I was given a court date on January 20th. The problem is, I really have to take this job. If I don't take it now, I will never get the chance to have it again. If I call the courts, can I have this whole thing postponed for an entire year? Can a lawyer show up in court for me -- although I really can't afford one? It says on the papaer "The above defendant personally appears before said court", so I imagine I would have to be there.

I also recently learned that my friend that was tackled against the truck now may have to have a finger amputated due to the damages from that guy beating on him. And yet, we were the ones arrested and given a court date. This is all highly unfair, and honestly ridiculous. I just want to leave and go do my job.

My question to you all is, is there any way I can leave on Wednesday morning and take care of this from a distance? Or even change the court date to tomorrow or something. Anything. I just don't have a week to wait for this, even though the police offers said it would probably only be a fine. Even though I shouldn't be charged with anything at all...

Let's say I just leave, do this job for a year, come back with a warrant, hire an attorney and turn myself in. What happens then? I know this is a stupid plan, but as you can tell I really want this job and China is not very understanding. My plane ticket is already booked. It is $1200 and non-refundable. I can prove to the court that I have the job and travel arrangements. I have my worker's permit, contract with dates, plane ticket, etc. I would love to avoid having a warrant but it may be the only way.

Thank you for reading.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello. I'm going to try and make this long story as short as possible. Basically, my friends decided to take me out for a going away get-together tonight. One of my friends ends up having an argument with a manager at a sports bar and we were asked to leave. When we left, some guy followed us outside asking him why he was being mean to the manager, then proceeded to take his shirt off and swing at my friend. They wrestled for a while, before my other friend pulled him off. The man then attacked my friend that pulled him off, and they went to the ground. People came outside to help and pulled the man off of my friend. My friend (literally) begins to run away and the man chases him down, tackles him into a truck, punches him some more, and then gets pulled away -- and goes back inside of the bar.

Mind you, during this entire altercation, me and my other friend who was with us did absolutely nothing. We didn't touch anyone, we didn't talk to anyone, we just watched. I did not want to get involved in the slightest, because I have a flight to China at 6am on Wednesday morning for pretty much my dream job. After the police come (WE called the police), me and my friends are arrested for Disorderly Conduct and the intitial instigator is nowhere to be found. That man's girlfriend comes outside and says all 4 of us jumped him, and 3 other people back up her story. Naturally, this bar's parking lot has ZERO cameras.

We were taken to the police station and booked, before eventually being allowed to leave on our own (no bail) for being calm and cooperative. I explained my situation many times, about how I didn't touch anyone or anything. In the end, I was given a court date on January 20th. The problem is, I really have to take this job. If I don't take it now, I will never get the chance to have it again. If I call the courts, can I have this whole thing postponed for an entire year? Can a lawyer show up in court for me -- although I really can't afford one? It says on the papaer "The above defendant personally appears before said court", so I imagine I would have to be there.

I also recently learned that my friend that was tackled against the truck now may have to have a finger amputated due to the damages from that guy beating on him. And yet, we were the ones arrested and given a court date. This is all highly unfair, and honestly ridiculous. I just want to leave and go do my job.

My question to you all is, is there any way I can leave on Wednesday morning and take care of this from a distance? Or even change the court date to tomorrow or something. Anything. I just don't have a week to wait for this, even though the police offers said it would probably only be a fine. Even though I shouldn't be charged with anything at all...

Let's say I just leave, do this job for a year, come back with a warrant, hire an attorney and turn myself in. What happens then? I know this is a stupid plan, but as you can tell I really want this job and China is not very understanding. My plane ticket is already booked. It is $1200 and non-refundable. I can prove to the court that I have the job and travel arrangements. I have my worker's permit, contract with dates, plane ticket, etc. I would love to avoid having a warrant but it may be the only way.

Thank you for reading.
They are not going to put this off for a year. You do have to personally be there or you will end up with a warrant for your arrest. If you come back with a warrant, you may find that your options are limited.

Ladyback1

I didn't brawl with anyone.
Have you tried calling the clerk of courts to tell them of your dilemma (leaving town for work) and ask if there is anything that they can do as far as changing the court date?

That should have been the first place you started, ya' know!

Adam1988

It may have been, but its a bit unusual for the police to arrest non-participants. It happens, but its unusual.
I was arrested because my drunk friend was being belligerent towards the police, and since I was standing next to him -- why not?

Anyway, thank you all for the advice as I cleared it all up today. Called the courts (I know it should've been the first place I went, but they were closed at the time I made this thread) and got my court date pushed to today after providing proof of my leaving. Turns out there was cameras installed, which clearly showed I was not in the fight**************which I didn't find out until after I entered my guilty plea so I could just leave. They told me if I wanted to get on my flight the next day I would have to plea guilty and just pay a fine. I really didn't have time to wait for a trial (I would lose my job) so I just took the charge even though I know I'm innocent.

All of my friends still have their court date set on the 20th, and with this new evidence I'm guessing they will all be cleared and I'll be the only one charged -- the one that didn't do anything at all! Such is life. Thanks again everyone, lol.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was arrested because my drunk friend was being belligerent towards the police, and since I was standing next to him -- why not?

Anyway, thank you all for the advice as I cleared it all up today. Called the courts (I know it should've been the first place I went, but they were closed at the time I made this thread) and got my court date pushed to today after providing proof of my leaving. Turns out there was cameras installed, which clearly showed I was not in the fight**************which I didn't find out until after I entered my guilty plea so I could just leave. They told me if I wanted to get on my flight the next day I would have to plea guilty and just pay a fine. I really didn't have time to wait for a trial (I would lose my job) so I just took the charge even though I know I'm innocent.

All of my friends still have their court date set on the 20th, and with this new evidence I'm guessing they will all be cleared and I'll be the only one charged -- the one that didn't do anything at all! Such is life. Thanks again everyone, lol.
You CHOSE to plead guilty to something you didn't do. I wouldn't have made that choice, but such is life.

Just Blue

Basically, my friends decided to take me out for a going away get-together tonight
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Goodness. Time must be odd in Ohio. :)

davew128

You CHOSE to plead guilty to something you didn't do. I wouldn't have made that choice, but such is life.
Depending on what the penalty is, the level of crime (infraction or misdemeanor), and long term repercussions, I might or might not depending on circumstances. Certainly if I have the ability to be acquitted or have it dismissed (which I suspect it would have been if a lawyer had been involved), I am going to go that route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">