• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Issues Warrant, But Refuses To Issue Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TM43

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I received a traffic ticket in a county other than my own. I later received a letter from the county that if I didn't pay the fine within a few days a warrant would be issued for my arrest. I didn't pay the fine/ticket, the county issued the warrant and notified the state to suspend my drivers license if I did not settle my debt with the county within a month.

I called the county to open up communication and was informed of the new amount that I had to pay. This was an increase of 66% from the original ticket because now fees have been added. I asked for documentation detailing this new amount and the county court refused to send out documentation. I spoke to the judge over the phone and was informed that this is just how this is done. When asked, the judge told me that I would receive an itemized receipt when payment is received, but I would receive no billing statement, or anything in writing confirming the total amount that I owe in addition to the original ticket.

This seems a bit spurious. This is America, I was under the impression that everything legal is done on paper. Meanwhile a warrant has been issued for my arrest. I need to pay this money to remove the warrant and avoid having my license suspended.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I received a traffic ticket in a county other than my own. I later received a letter from the county that if I didn't pay the fine within a few days a warrant would be issued for my arrest. I didn't pay the fine/ticket, the county issued the warrant and notified the state to suspend my drivers license if I did not settle my debt with the county within a month.

I called the county to open up communication and was informed of the new amount that I had to pay. This was an increase of 66% from the original ticket because now fees have been added. I asked for documentation detailing this new amount and the county court refused to send out documentation. I spoke to the judge over the phone and was informed that this is just how this is done. When asked, the judge told me that I would receive an itemized receipt when payment is received, but I would receive no billing statement, or anything in writing confirming the total amount that I owe in addition to the original ticket.

This seems a bit spurious. This is America, I was under the impression that everything legal is done on paper. Meanwhile a warrant has been issued for my arrest. I need to pay this money to remove the warrant and avoid having my license suspended.
Quoted for posterity. Also, you didn't ask a legal question.

Anyway, pay the amount the Court told you, or expect to spend at least a little bit of time in jail after you get picked up on the warrant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Quoted for posterity. Also, you didn't ask a legal question.

Anyway, pay the amount the Court told you, or expect to spend at least a little bit of time in jail after you get picked up on the warrant.
But But But ----- this is AMERICA!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">