• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Ordered Intervention

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daynadane

What is the name of your state? NY

In extreme cases can a parent of a child (over the age of 18) get
a court order to force their child into a rehab?

He is in denial obviously, in crisis mode, and the consequences
of him not seeking help will be dire.

JETX

Gee, it is amazing the wrong information you are getting.

First, if this person is 18 or over, they are not a 'child' as tcsd1236 claimed.

Second, as an adult, the ONLY way that you (even as a parent) can intervene and force him into rehab (or anywhere else) is with a court order. And to get that, you will need to talk with a local attorney.

n_and

This post is over 3 weeks old, I think the OP has gone. I was wrong again. I didn't think you could get a court order unless the son had over-dosed and his health was in jeopardy. Once again, proven wrong. That's all I have to say.

JETX

tcsd1236 said:
They used the term child in the thread opener; I took it to mean biological child, not a juvenile.
*** HUH??? The text CLEARLY shows that this person is NOT a child, your protestations to the contrary!! And just as obvious, your 'assumption' was wrong.

Even though they are over the age of 18, if they are incompetent due to extreme drug use affecting / severely impairing their reasoning abilities, the parent can be declared a guardian for the ( biological ) child and can act in their interests, including medical care/ treatment.
*** Agreed. However, where ANYWHERE in the post does it even imply that your 'assumptions' are valid??? You simply must quit assuming things... they are clearly clouding your posts.

Drugs can seriously fry the brains of some people to the point that they cannot care for themselves. The thread starter DID say that this is an "extreme" case, but we have no information as yet as to how "extreme" the case actually is.
*** Agreed. Yet you somehow managed to assume an 'extreme' that doesn't even apply.

The other point I made was in reference to having the courts involved; there are now drug courts where treatment is a standard part of the program; that was the basis for my questioning the childs possible current involvement in the legal system, so that information is not "wrong".
And yes, the courts would have to be involved in this process.
*** Again, where in this thread is there even ANYTHING to imply that the courts are involved in THIS incident (as would be required to make your assumptions valid)????

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">