• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court room entrapment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dandate

What is the name of your state? California
A traffic court judge issued me ridiculous fines for a moped violation. I told her it was against my religion to pay such fines in what equivelates to food, I asked for jail time to pay my sentance. She refused me jail time and sent me out of the court. I am moving out of state soon and will be forced to return to court to say the same thing, or face a warrant for my arrest. Is this entrapment? Can I sue my city? Thank you.

-Daniel Date

tigger22472

dandate said:
What is the name of your state? California
A traffic court judge issued me ridiculous fines for a moped violation.

Why do you find them to be 'ridiculous' fines?

I told her it was against my religion to pay such fines in what equivelates to food,

Nice try, but if you don't want to pay fines for an illegal act, then act within legal standards.

I asked for jail time to pay my sentance. She refused me jail time and sent me out of the court. I am moving out of state soon and will be forced to return to court to say the same thing, or face a warrant for my arrest. Is this entrapment? Can I sue my city? Thank you.

-Daniel Date

No, this is not entrapment.
Sure, you can sue your city, but you will lose
So, now you are looking at jail time AND those 'ridiculous' fines as well as more.

CdwJava

dandate said:
A traffic court judge issued me ridiculous fines for a moped violation.
I'm sorry you feel they were ridiculous. Unfortunately for you, I doubt the legislature is concerned with your feelings on the matter so they established the fines as they saw fit without your input.

Feel free to write your Assemblyman or state Senator to ask for reduced traffic fines.

I told her it was against my religion to pay such fines in what equivelates to food, I asked for jail time to pay my sentance. She refused me jail time and sent me out of the court.
Jail is not an option for an infraction.

I am moving out of state soon and will be forced to return to court to say the same thing, or face a warrant for my arrest. Is this entrapment? Can I sue my city? Thank you.
Nope - it is not entrapment.

And you have no grounds to sue the city.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">