• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Background Disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joseph03114

New York State

Hello, I am curious and this is a question that has been on my mind for a very long time. I am 22 years old I was arrested when I was 16 for posession of marijuana, It was dismissed. I was arrested when I was 17 for Disorderly conduct, I was convicted and performed community service. I was arrested when I was 19 also for disorderly conduct, It was dismissed and I didnt receive any court papers. When I obtained a certificate of disposition from the criminal court where all 3 arrests were judged, it only listed the disorderly conduct from when I was 17. The other 2 were not listed. I have changed my ways and have accepted my responsibilities as an adult and have also considered becoming a police officer. When applying for this position, do I have to list the 2 arrests that are not listed on my certificate of disposition and have been dismissed. I have been told by police officer that I dont have too, and other police officers told me that I do. I am confused and would finally like to know the answer to this question.

JETX

"do I have to list the 2 arrests that are not listed on my certificate of disposition and have been dismissed."
*** I would suggest that you list them.... and show their proper disposition. The problem is if you do not list them and the 'investigator' finds out about them (and it is likely that they will), you may face a confidence or trust issue that could affect your application.

CdwJava

Take it from a police supervisor who conducts backgrounds - if you are NOT completely forthcoming, WHEN we find out about the arrest that you did not disclose to us, we WILL end your hiring process.

As part of the process you will receive a personal history statement (aka a background packet). The questions are almost certain to include a section where you will be asked to list all of your "arrests" - either in the last X number of years, or, as an adult, or, ever. If you try to play semantic games on the matter, you will be bounced. Because a half decent background investigation WILL find out that you were arrested - even if they can't be sure for what. AND they will also check local police records which will generally have more complete information about police contacts then your state "certificate of disposition" (whatever that is).

If in doubt, list it. Or, ask the question directly of the background officer. It is best that they consider and hire you knowing full well your past foibles than to hire you, find out about them later, and let you go for either falsifying the application, or, for providing incomplete information.

If what you say is true, given time and sufficient accomplishments, you CAN overcome the problems you mention. But, if you ever get bounced in a hiring process for dishonesty or for concealing information, you will almost certainly never get a cop job.

Good luck.

Carl

M

mipwtf

Ah, just what we need...more officers with illegal tendencies.

CdwJava

Well, in all fairness, it is hard to find "type A" individuals who did not make an idiotic move when they were kids. Its one thing to hold it against them when they are just a couple of years past the event (and trust me, it WILL be). Its another thing to hold it against them ten years or so down the road.

Some agencies operate a zero tolerance policy. Others will look at the incidents on a case-by-case basis, balancing the nature of the incident, the elapsed time since the incident, and what has been accomplished in the intervening time.

There ARE crimes and types of events that would disqualify someone for police work in CA and within many agencies elsewhere. But, disorderly conduct (especially as a teen) and simple possession of marijuana are not among them.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">