• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal charges for a bad check for 7 dollars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Missy9355

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

A few months ago I accidentaly wrote a bad check for 7 dollars to Walmart. I got a letter from the bank saying it may be redeposited by Walmart, and I didn't keep track and just figured if they didn't redeposit the check they would send me a bill or something. I never got anything from Walmart. Well now 4 months later I get a letter from the prosecutors office saying that Walmart has filed criminal charges and I must pay 200 dollars to go to a class on financial responsibility by next week or I could go to jail. I do not have the 200 dollars. My question is what will happen if I don't participate in this class? It seems sillly to pay 200 dollars for a class when all I did was write a check for 7 dollars. I called the office and they say that I cannot pay Walmart back, that I have to comply with this class or go to criminal court. Will I be arrested? Will any judge put me in jail over this? I have no criminal history.

Missy9355

Yes, that would be silly, if that were what had happened. I did have it in the bank when I wrote the check, then by mathematical error on my part the check bounced. This happens to some of us silly people every once in a while, honest mistakes HAPPEN. Thanks for your helpful input though. Jerk.

Shay-Pari'e

Take this to the bank!

If you do not send payment, or go to your classes, you will not be writing checks anywhere, ever again.

julianna

The thing is RESPONSIBILITY... I too have made errors on my bank book... (taking money from the ATM and forgetting to write it in..etc) and I too have bounced a check here and there....BUT I have made good on that check and not "figured if they didn't redeposit the check they would send me a bill or something"----you basically said "oh well" to their attempts to notify you that you made a mistake on your math....

That, in my eyes is a perfect reason to take you to court and charge you $200 and make you go to a class.... You obviously need some kind of class to make you start caring about what you do with your money....

Why is it that you thought is was ok to just forget about it? Because it was only $7 and Walmart has tons of money and who cares?? Well, SURPRISE.... It's a misdemeanor, and you could get much more than just a $200 fine... you can get that on your record for all the world to see when you apply for a job, go to get credit, etc...

Pay your fine and accept responsibility for your actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">