• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Procedure-Addressing a Party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AirManLuke

California

I was wondering about this sort of thing the other day, because ive heard many different things that police officers can do to the tenants of a house, while a large party is taking place within that persons house.

Lets say, myself and my 3 other roommates are throwing a college party with beer kegs and dancing, the whole 9 yards.....on some random weekend.....

If a another citizen makes a complaint, like a neighbor, what can the police do??? Ive heard that police officers at times just give a verbal warning, but are supposed to give you a written warning, detailing all aspects of the party at hand (noise, population, ect). Then, if another complaint is lodged, the police can come back and break up the party, is this true???? Also, do officers have the right to ask for ID, proving that the tenants are of legal drinking age??? Where are police officers allowed to go at a house party????(i.e. backyards, side yards, open garages, inside the house)

Any information on the laws and regulations regarding these issues would be of great help to me.

thanks

CdwJava

Lets say, myself and my 3 other roommates are throwing a college party with beer kegs and dancing, the whole 9 yards.....on some random weekend.....

If a another citizen makes a complaint, like a neighbor, what can the police do???
They can many things. They can come and tell you to quiet down ... if they have reason to believe there is underage drinking, they can take enforcement action to include citations and arrests ... it really depends on the officer, the nature of the problem, and the policy and practice of the agency.

Then, if another complaint is lodged, the police can come back and break up the party, is this true????
That's one way it can be handled. Very often a warning is issued for noise complaints and enforcement is taken next time around.

Also, do officers have the right to ask for ID, proving that the tenants are of legal drinking age???
The police can ASK for anything ... whether you have to provide it is another story. However, if they see a large party, booze, and people that appear to be under 21, then failure to provide ID could be a problem.

Where are police officers allowed to go at a house party????(i.e. backyards, side yards, open garages, inside the house)
That depends on what they think they see, and why they articulate making the entry.

If you have a party with underage drinking or a lot of noise, expect to have the cops poking around.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">