• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cuffed, taken downtown, no miranda?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GP1138

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Here's the story. In October of last year, I incurred a fine for Reckless Op, and went to court, and pled No Contest, and ended up with a $125 fine. I didn't have the money then, and I ended up forgetting about it. Stupid, I know, and I'm paying now.

The other night, I went out driving, late. I went through an alley too fast, and got pulled over, and there was a warrant for my arrest through the Franklin PD, I'm in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. The warrant was in Warren County.

Here's what my problem is. Were my rights violated? I was handcuffed and taken downtown, but never read my Miranda rights. I was basically told nothing, and treated like ****, I had to ask to get any information, and got a lot of sarcasm and derisive responses when asked. I understand that is how things are, I'm more interested in if I was supposed to be read my Miranda rights when I was arrested. I want to know the LAW, not hearsay. If you need more information, please tell me. Thanks a lot for reading.

P

Pfaffing85690

So? Your feelings were hurt. However, as many who watch too many cop shows on T.V. you do not understand the purpose of "Miranda".

So, here's a free legal education.

Miranda is not required upon arrest. IF the police intend to interrogate you then yes, Miranda IS required. However, there was no need for questions. You were arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Son of Slam

GP1138 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Here's the story. In October of last year, I incurred a fine for Reckless Op, and went to court, and pled No Contest, and ended up with a $125 fine. I didn't have the money then, and I ended up forgetting about it. Stupid, I know, and I'm paying now.

The other night, I went out driving, late. I went through an alley too fast, and got pulled over, and there was a warrant for my arrest through the Franklin PD, I'm in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. The warrant was in Warren County.

Here's what my problem is. Were my rights violated? I was handcuffed and taken downtown, but never read my Miranda rights. I was basically told nothing, and treated like ****, I had to ask to get any information, and got a lot of sarcasm and derisive responses when asked. I understand that is how things are, I'm more interested in if I was supposed to be read my Miranda rights when I was arrested. I want to know the LAW, not hearsay. If you need more information, please tell me. Thanks a lot for reading.
I went through an alley too fast,... Were my rights violated?

I was handcuffed and taken downtown, ... and treated like ****

I'm more interested in if I was supposed to be read my Miranda rights when I was arrested.

Miranda only applies when you are in custody AND there is an interrogation. Routine questions do not qualify as an interrogation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">