• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curious

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlrl

What is the name of your state? NY. In NY when a defendant is charged with a criminal offense (felony or misdemeanor) but the arrest ends in a conviction for a non criminal violation(like disorderly conduct or harassment)via a plea deal or guilty plea, it is considered that "criminal action is terminated via conviction for a non-criminal offense" and then various criminal records(prints, DA and police records) are sealed.

What i am curious about is what happens when someone is charged with a violation like disorderly conduct or harassment (chargeable in the form of an arrest or a ticket--such offenses are not fingerprintable offenses) which I believe are the least serious offenses in the penal law in NY (they carry a jail sentence of up to 15 days). If they plead not guilty, I would assume they have a trial. But what happens if the defendant pleads guilty--what do they plead guilty to? Isn't the purpose of pleading guilty to plead down to a lesser offense? What would the defendant plead down to beneath the level of a violation? I assume if it were say a DWI crime(equal to or more than a .08 BAC) or a DWAI violation(less than a .08 BAC) the defendant could plead down to say reckless driving, a violation. But what would someone plead down to if they were charged with a violation like disorderly conduct or harassment? I assume they could get an ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal)? How does this work?Or if they can't get an ACD, what do they plead down to?

No, I did not just get into trouble. I made a mistake one time 10 years ago (charged with misd, pled to a violation) but have been clean ever since. But since that time i always have legal questions about this type of thing.Always have been curious about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">