• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cussing in public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deuce11

I live in North Carolina and I went to my local fedex to pick up my psckage, I'm 16 and I don't have an id and the package was in my grandmothers name, so I couldn't get the package and I told the lady I wasted gas to come up here and she said " that's not my problem" so I call corporate and they can't help me either. So I hung up with corporate and I'm outside and I yell f**k all of you stupid m*********f**k and I'm waking to my car and I see another employee outside and I yell f**k u too and I leave. Could I be arrested for this? What's the worst that could happen?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in North Carolina and I went to my local fedex to pick up my psckage, I'm 16 and I don't have an id and the package was in my grandmothers name, so I couldn't get the package and I told the lady I wasted gas to come up here and she said " that's not my problem" so I call corporate and they can't help me either. So I hung up with corporate and I'm outside and I yell f**k all of you stupid m*********f**k and I'm waking to my car and I see another employee outside and I yell f**k u too and I leave. Could I be arrested for this? What's the worst that could happen?
Grow up.

CdwJava

No. You cannot be arrested for cussing. However, if the cussing or other actions can be objectively seen as threatening another person or disrupting the operation of the business then maybe ... but, if the police were not called and you were gone, odds are nothing will come of it even on the long shot that a crime might be articulated.

And since you DROVE to the business, why didn't you have a driver's license with you???? Obeying the law would have prevented this from happening.

deuce11

No. You cannot be arrested for cussing. However, if the cussing or other actions can be objectively seen as threatening another person or disrupting the operation of the business then maybe ... but, if the police were not called and you were gone, odds are nothing will come of it even on the long shot that a crime might be articulated.

And since you DROVE to the business, why didn't you have a driver's license with you???? Obeying the law would have prevented this from happening.
My cousin drove me I payed him gas

CdwJava

My cousin drove me I payed him gas
I suppose it was the statement, " I wasted gas" and "I'm waking [sic] to my car" that confused me.

In any event, no criminal charges are likely to result from this particular rude and juvenile behavior.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
§ 14 197. Using profane or indecent language on public highways; counties exempt.
If any person shall, on any public road or highway and in the hearing of two or more persons, in a loud and boisterous manner, use indecent or profane language, he shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. The following counties shall be exempt from the provisions of this section: Pitt and Swain. (1913, c. 40; C.S., s. 4352; Pub. Loc. Ex. Sess., 1924, c. 65; 1933, c. 309; 1937, c. 9; 1939, c. 73; 1945, c. 398; 1947, cc. 144, 959; 1949, c. 845; 1957, c. 348; 1959, c. 733; 1963, cc. 39, 123; 1969, c. 300; 1971, c. 718; 1973, cc. 120, 233; 1993, c. 539, s. 129; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/14-criminal-law/14-197.html

CdwJava

While it might be technically possible to charge someone for this act, I cannot imagine the cops are going to try and track anyone down for it. I suspect it might be little more than a tool to try end exert leverage on someone to mind their manners or encourage them to leave. Not to mention the fact that many such laws have been ruled unconstitutional absent some other act or intent.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/north-carolina-man-charged-with-violating-law-already-held-to-be-unconstitutional/

LeeHarveyBlotto

No, you won't be arrested. However, being unable to control your anger over such a trivial problem will likely get you into trouble in the future. You'd be well-served working on getting control of your emotions.

dave33

Don't talk tough and than cower like a little girl. In the future before talking this way remember how afraid you were of a trivial matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">