• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad arrested for molesting me as a child, Just wondering what happens next

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sloppynachos

Hello, First of I didn't know where to post this thread so I am sorry if i have it in the wrong forum. I live in SC and a few months back my dad was arrested for molesting me as a child.
When I came forward to the police a few other family members made statements also saying he touched them also. Since this happened my mom has been telling everyone I am lying and he never did anything even though he admitted it and that's why he was arrested. I got a phone call yesterday saying the solicitor wanted to meet with me next week. I don't know what to expect and was hoping you guys could help me. Is there anything I should know before hand and there any questions I should ask when I'm there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

FlyingRon

You should check with the county and see if there is a victim's advocate that can help you through this process. Generally, the prosecutor will meet with you to find out what testimony you will be able to give. You may be summonsed to give that testimony at various times in the process. You can also ask questions of the prosecutors who are interviewing you. You are entitled to have an attorney if you desire.

Here are some links that may help:
http://www.sova.sc.gov/ - State Victim's Advocate
http://www.scvan.org/ - Non-profit victims support group

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This really should be added to your original thread.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/domestic-violence-abuse-38/molested-kid-dad-confessed-616593.html#post3351166

sirsanta

Hello, First of I didn't know where to post this thread so I am sorry if i have it in the wrong forum. I live in SC and a few months back my dad was arrested for molesting me as a child.
When I came forward to the police a few other family members made statements also saying he touched them also. Since this happened my mom has been telling everyone I am lying and he never did anything even though he admitted it and that's why he was arrested. I got a phone call yesterday saying the solicitor wanted to meet with me next week. I don't know what to expect and was hoping you guys could help me. Is there anything I should know before hand and there any questions I should ask when I'm there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
How many years ago was this?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How many years ago was this?
This is an irrelevant.

OP is in South Carolina.

According to OP's other thread, OP was 19 at the time this was reported to the police.

OP's father confessed and was arrested in August.

So, questions about how long ago this was, in order to cast aspersions on OP, are uncalled for. Statutes of limitations is what you are thinking, but do not apply in this case. Have I mentioned before, this is South Carolina? Not Illinois. Or Indiana. Or wherever you are. I neither know, nor care, other than the fact that it is in the Mid-West, and is NOT South Carolina.

I have no idea how OP dealt with the solicitor. Personally, I would only want to deal with the state; I would distance myself from "mom" and have nothing to do with anyone acting on her or "dad''s behalf. As for the DA, police, whatever, tell the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">