• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter in Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WorriedMama

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA

My underage daughter has recently become involved with a 21 yr. old male who has been charged with selling marijuana to minors. Apparently, he has 7 people who are going to testify that he did sell them drugs and his lawyer has advised him that if he is convicted the minimum sentence is 15 yrs. He is comtemplating running away.

My daughter says that she is going to keep in touch with him by prepaid phones, send him money, and when she is 18 catch up with him and support him while he continues to run from the law.

What can the police do to her and/or me? I know they will probably contact us because it's common knowledge that they are a couple. Can she be charged with withholding evidence? And later, harboring a fugitive?

I know I can turn this guy in to the cops right now telling them that he is planning on running, but my daughter has threatened to leave with him if I do. I believe her.

I need to know how much trouble she is going to be in if she continues with her "plan".

Last edited:

W

WorriedMama

Sorry for the first error. Yes, this is my first time ever trying to post anything on any message board.

JETX

If what she threatens actually occurs (more likely this is just 'current emotion' and will hopefully change) she could, in theory, be facing 'aiding' questions. I would be very surprised if it were to actually elevate to any criminal action.

Given your post, I would simply drop an ANONYMOUS dime on the little prick and let the police know where he is and what he is contemplating. Very likely that they can take care of the problem without your name ever coming up.

CdwJava

Your daughter could be charged with conspiracy to commit any number of offenses, and aiding a fugitive. Your "underage daughter" needs to be put on a shorter rope or she will hang herself.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CdwJava said:
Your daughter could be charged with conspiracy to commit any number of offenses, and aiding a fugitive. Your "underage daughter" needs to be put on a shorter rope or she will hang herself.

Carl

My response:

With her hormones raging, and a "father figure" that none of her girlfriends have, how much do you think this teenage girl is thinking of the consequences? This is just how Bonnie Parker felt when she first met up with Clyde Barrow.

Let her learn, while she's cooling her jets behind bars - - or caught in an Arkansas, backwoods, shootout with police.

IAAL

CdwJava

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

With her hormones raging, and a "father figure" that none of her girlfriends have, how much do you think this teenage girl is thinking of the consequences? IAAL
All the more reason that mom needs to exert some parental guidance. If mom allows her child to remain out of control, she could also find herself on the wrong end of a pair of handcuffs given the right circumstances.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CdwJava said:
All the more reason that mom needs to exert some parental guidance. If mom allows her child to remain out of control, she could also find herself on the wrong end of a pair of handcuffs given the right circumstances.

Carl

My response:

Once again, I can't disagree with your logic, Carl. But, let's face facts - - we are talking about the State of Virginia. These are mountain folks, and it's just the way they think and operate.

IAAL

W

WorriedMama

Thanks to all of you for responding. I can't disagree that my daughter needs to be on a shorter rope. And I guess it sounds like you all agree that it's possible she could be questioned and possibly charged, but since she is a minor it's unlikely that she would be convicted-right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

WorriedMama said:
And I guess it sounds like you all agree that it's possible she could be questioned and possibly charged, but since she is a minor it's unlikely that she would be convicted-right?

My response:

Yeahhhhhhhh right. That's the ticket.

IAAL

P.S. And juvenile courts and juvenile penal institutions don't exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">