• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dc: police stalking/false arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okayndc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm a Maryland resident. Arrested in D.C.

driving in D.C. headed towards my university's starbucks, an officer (with no caution lights on) wanted to jet out of a gas station, i stopped eventhough the light was green and motioned for him to go ahead of me. he didn't, i proceeded to my destination.

the policeman followed me from 14th street all the way down to georgia ave (7/8 blocks). i'm like wow, okay. i proceed to park infront of the starbucks. he drives past me, makes a u turn and proceeds to park 3 to 4 cars behind me. HE WAITED 10 MINUTES...for me to come out of the starbucks. at this point, i'm like wow, he is insane and really doesn't have anything better else to do with the district's time and money? i get into the car, make a right turn, he is STILL FOLLOWING ME. he finally pulls me over after i make the turn. officer said that i did not signal coming out of a parking space infront of the starbucks. LIE. i gave him my driver's license, he ran it. meanwhile 4 - 5 cop cars roll up and a paddywagon.

officers on the scene looked dumbfounded. one asked what i was being arrested for, he said a suspended license. LIE. my license is/was NOT SUSPENDED. I HAVE PROOF.

get to the station. booking officer asked him what i was being charged/arrested for, he said NO D.C. PERMIT - and the EXACT words on paper. i was fingerprinted, photographed, and thrown in a cell. i had to post bond to get out.

after i get out, wondering if he gave me a ticket for the made up charge of not signaling NO. A WARNING.

how should i proceed with this? i have verified with maryland mva and they show that my license is clear and NOT SUSPENDED.

i am a government employee and when it's comes time for a scheduled background investigation to be ran, now have to explain MYSELF for the incompetence of the D.C. metropolitan police department. i may lose my job over this.

what can i do? what should be done?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Police are allowed to follow you. We call that good police work in general.

However, if you are indeed a resident of Maryland, it seems beyond contrived to arrest you for not having a DC license if you had a Maryland one (unless for some reason in the past: DUI, unpaid traffic tickets, your DC privs were suspended).

Traffic CONVICTIONS don't even make much of a dent on background investigations (I had an employee who spent four days in jail on a VA reckless driving charge and it didn't affect his getting is TS/SCI at all). Arrests aren't even likely to come up (provided you beat this charge).

I'd definitely be talking to a lawyer and a lawyer can not only tell you how to beat the charges but what either administrative or civil complaints you wish to make about the police behavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">