• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadocketed? For how long?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinklebelle

What is the name of your state? GA My daughter was involved with a low life and she filed suit against him for a lot of money he owed, and he inturn accused her of a criminal offense of burglary, stalking, and criminal trespass.
She obtained an attorney and they spoke with the detectives and if she dropped the lawsuit, the charges she was accused of would be dropped. She dropped the lawsuit and guess what..the charges were not dropped. Her
'wonderful attorney' missed 3 out of 5 court appearances and she had no clue where he was as he told her he would be there, and then he called and said the case was 'dead docketed' and I can find no info on this. How long can this be dead docketed and how does it end? Is it eventually dropped or is she in limbo for the rest of her life? The attorney won't even return her calls, and she contacted the Bar Assoc. in GA and they tried to speak with him and they were uncessful and told her to file a complaint. Her life has been ruined due to this. When she was arrested, no officer would tell her why; show her a warrant; give her her rights or anything. For burglary, would they not have to atleast search and see if indeed there was something in her possession that had been burgled? This is one mess and something just does not smell right. What can she do? We cannot afford another lawyer, as the sorry one charged $5,000 for nothing. If this dead docketed case should come up in the future, would he not be required to represent her as it seems to be a case unfinished? This whole thing is a vindictive thing, and I read that no charges for false arrest can be made as long as this is dead docketed. Can someone please explain this whole dead docketed mess in GA to me and what usually happens with these cases? This was dead docketed in 2003.

seniorjudge

Q: How long can this be dead docketed and how does it end?

A: Have your daughter go to the clerk of the court where she went and ask her questions.

Son of Slam

Birds of a feather I'll bet.

Dead Docketed is a legal status akin to being in permanent limbo. Your daughter can motion and order removing the case from Dead Docket or, better still, demand that the judge get off his ass and satisfy her right to a speedy trial.

tinklebelle

Is the lawyer that was hired still responsible for the case since he just left it hanging or do I have to retain another lawyer. Do you think this attorney is guilty of malpractice?
He dumped it and won't even take any calls pertaining to it.
Am I wrong to think that since this is not settled that it is still his responsibility to do what he was hired to do?

tinklebelle

seniorjudge said:
Q: How long can this be dead docketed and how does it end?

A: Have your daughter go to the clerk of the court where she went and ask her questions.
She is terrified and does not want to call attention to it and is afraid for me to.

tinklebelle

Why do you say 'birds of a feather'?

Son of Slam said:
Dead Docketed is a legal status akin to being in permanent limbo. Your daughter can motion and order removing the case from Dead Docket or, better still, demand that the judge get off his ass and satisfy her right to a speedy trial.
Can she file a motion to dismiss herself or does she have to get another attorney. Also can you answer the question pertaining to the sorry one that got it in this any way and told her it was dead docketed and on the way to being dismissed, if he would HAVE to still represent her as it has been really left unfinished? From what I read, and there is very little about dead docketing in GA on the internet, it can be called up any time within 5 years. Does this mean that after 5 years they have to drop it or what? My daughter has never been introuble and all this happened as I said due to an ex boyfriend that she was suing for a lot of money he owed her. Why was the 'you drop the suit and this will go away' not done after she did what they asked?
What can be done about that? Poor thing has been a mental wreck since this and has started having panic attacks due to it and has had to be put on medication for all the stress it has done to her. This whole thing is a crock
As time passes, and with the medication she is on, her memory is being affected and this only makes her situation in this mess worse and makes her worse because of the memory losses. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">