• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with detectives/questioning.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blink182

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I work at a small volunteer cable station. Recently, pieces of equipment wound up missing; presumed stolen by the acting technical director. The matter was reported to the police. Since then, many of the 30 or so members of the station have been contacted by police.

Approximately one week later, I was contacted by a detective of the corresponding village's police department. The same day, a calling card was left at my home. After two days of playing phone tag, he asked me to come to the police station. After reading what I could online on the matter, I chose not to return his call or go down to the station. At least not without a lawyer present.

I do believe that I may eventually need some type of legal representation, however, I am wondering what my next course of action with the detective should be. I do not want him to think that I am attempting to impede an investigation, but at the same time, I'm not exactly in a position to actively seek out legal representation on my own. I am not sure whether I am suspected of a crime; I am innocent.. but this grey area is putting my in a quandary.

What should I tell the detective to either buy myself more time or not have to go down to the police station on my own?

Thank you.

gawm

if you have any involvement in the missing equipment the best thing to do is not make any statements whatsoever to any law enforcement official

CdwJava

You do not HAVE to talk to him. But, if they don't hear what you have to say then they might decide you are connected somehow.

Speak to a lawyer soon or cross your fingers and hope their investigation is not focusing on you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">