• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character on AIM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baseballchik

What is the name of your state? NC

I would like to know what, if anything, I can do about an old roommate posting lies about me in her away messages on AOL Instant Messenger. Is that not considered libel? Just curious, because she is spreading lies about me and my future husband.

CdwJava

baseballchik said:

I would like to know what, if anything, I can do about an old roommate posting lies about me in her away messages on AOL Instant Messenger. Is that not considered libel? Just curious, because she is spreading lies about me and my future husband.
Have you been damaged by the message? Is it a false accusation that she KNOWS is false, or just an opinion?

She can refer to you as all manner of foul beast and creature if she wants to, and it's not likely to be libel. If she says that you have carnal knowledge of 5 year old boys and you, in fact, do not, then you might have a case.

- Carl

seniorjudge

If she is posting defamatory stuff about you, then hire a lawyer ($10K or so should do the trick) and invest about three or four years for your lawsuit.

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
If she is posting defamatory stuff about you, then hire a lawyer ($10K or so should do the trick) and invest about three or four years for your lawsuit.
That was going to be my next question: Is it worth several thousand dollars for her to stop posting this on her AIM "Away" message?

Heck, I have people making accusations about me all the time - even in the paper. None of it is worth fighting in court as the outcome is questionable, and the parties involved tend to not have any assets to seize even if I DID prevail!

- Carl

seniorjudge

CdwJava said:
Have you been damaged by the message? Is it a false accusation that she KNOWS is false, or just an opinion?

She can refer to you as all manner of foul beast and creature if she wants to, and it's not likely to be libel. If she says that you have carnal knowledge of 5 year old boys and you, in fact, do not, then you might have a case.

- Carl
Carl, that was a great movie, wasn't it?

BelizeBreeze

baseballchik said:

You mean like "baseballchik really really loves the thin hard bats of the opposing team"????

you mean something like that?

mycarlb

baseballchik said:

You are feeding right into her by even giving a crap what she says... she'll go away if you ignore her... it's no fun to mess with people if they don't get upset about it...

Be the bigger person and laugh it off... she looks like the loser then.

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066892/

You mean you haven't seen a movie since 1971?
I was a wee lad when that came out .... and it was a golden oldie by the time I was old enough to watch such a movie. 'Fraid I missed that one.

I don't spend TOO much time in front of my TV or at the theater ... too much time on my computer. ;)

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">