• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Entry at Border trying to go to court hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samsonca

What is the name of your state? Washington
I am a Canadian.
I was busted with a gram of marijuana at the border (I know it was dumb, but It was a year old and I had forgotten it was in my car). I was given a yellow ticket and told to appear in court in 2 weeks. I went to the border crossing and attempted to cross. I sat there for over 4 hours while the border cops scrambled trying to figure out how to get me in. The DA office had not filed the correct paper work, eventually the port officer let me in to the country to go to my hearing (an hour late).

I was given a pre-trial conference and told to return 6 weeks later.

So this past weekend I packed my car up (sans drugs) and hit the road, went to the same border crossing and again I sat for 3 hours. Waiting. The DA did not file the correct paper work granting me access to the USA to appear for my trial. I waited until 1pm (my pre-trial conference was 1:30 pm and still a 45 min drive from the border) when the Border guard sent me home saying there was nothing he could do and could not get me into the country. I was told the DA was contacted and explained the situation, and that no arrest warrant would be issued for me not appearing.

Now my question is, is this a violation of Due Process laws in your country? Can the charges be dropped because the DA did not follow the correct procedure to allow me to appear for my charges?

It cost me about 600 bucks to get down there for the trial and I cannot afford to go down again let alone afford a lawyer. I make too much to get a court-appointed attorney but in reality high cost of living in a booming oil economy causes alot of inflation and thus cannot afford one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">