• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied time off to attend court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steelworker34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My former partner has filed suit against me (claiming she is owed some of my property :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) the other side of the state; but my boss is refusing to let me take the day off; even though I offered to make up the time. I have never really got on with my boss; and I have a feeling he is going to use this as an excuse to send me packin'. Is there anything I can do? I have offered to make the time up elsewhere; I have asked my ex to re-file closer.. :mad:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My former partner has filed suit against me (claiming she is owed some of my property :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) the other side of the state; but my boss is refusing to let me take the day off; even though I offered to make up the time. I have never really got on with my boss; and I have a feeling he is going to use this as an excuse to send me packin'. Is there anything I can do? I have offered to make the time up elsewhere; I have asked my ex to re-file closer.. :mad:
You do not have to be given time to attend to personal business. What your boss is doing is perfectly legal.

CavemanLawyer

Texas is an at will employment state meaning that you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all except if its in violation of certain civil rights laws, ex: race, religion, etc... He doesn't have to let you have that time off, except maybe if you were court ordered to be there.

Can you not hire a local attorney in that area to appear for you? You don't always have to be at court settings if your attorney goes for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">