• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detective called from personal phone to discuss a case he says he has against me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crich99

Would a detective ever call from a personal phone to discuss a case he has with your name on it? He left a voice mail but only left last name no badge number and is from a different state than I live! And wants me to call his personal phone not the station he works! I believe it's a scam but want to check!

tranquility

Would a detective ever call from a personal phone to discuss a case he has with your name on it? He left a voice mail but only left last name no badge number and is from a different state than I live! And wants me to call his personal phone not the station he works! I believe it's a scam but want to check!
No one can guess if it is a scam without more information, but many detectives have department supplied phones. Run the number on the internet.

FlyingRon

Even if it was a real cop, "wants to discuss a case with you" means "wants to see if you will incriminate yourself." Ignore him. If they insist, refuse to speak without an attorney.

Crich99

Even if it was a real cop, "wants to discuss a case with you" means "wants to see if you will incriminate yourself." Ignore him. If they insist, refuse to speak without an attorney.
Well he called Monday but I haven't heard from them since!

quincy

Well he called Monday but I haven't heard from them since!
You can run the number to see what turns up - or you can contact the police agency directly and ask about the phone call (providing the agency with the name of the detective) - or you can do nothing and see what comes of it all.

If you are in fact being contacted by a real detective about a case you are involved in (are you involved currently in a police matter?), you do not have to answer any questions asked of you, and it is better if you exercise your right to remain silent and direct all questions to your attorney (and you will want an attorney if you are currently involved in a serious police matter).

Because this sounds a bit like a scam, I suggest you treat it that way until you learn differently.

xylene

OR...

or...

he was just telling you that you would be reaching his direct line that only he would answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">