• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Difference between secured and unssecured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KRSMom

What is the name of your state? NC

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a secured bond and an unsecured bond?

Thanks!

JETX

A secured bond is one that is backed (secured) by something of value (car, house, property, etc.). An unsecured is just that..... not secured.

K

KRSMom

Another question--Why would one type of bond be used over another? Does that question make any sense?

K

KRSMom

I only meant that I didn't understand when you would use a secured bond or unsecured bond.

JETX

Okay, let me give you a quick example.
1) Subject lives in trailer park. Has previous criminal history. Charged with serious violent crime, third strike, heavy punishment possible. Bond: Secured due to higher chance of flight.

2) Subject is a doctor, well known and established in community. No previous history. Charged with low or moderate serverity crime. Low flight risk. Bond: unsecured.

K

KRSMom

Gotcha!! That helps!! I think they think she is a flight risk and that's why she had a secured bond. Thanks again JETX--your example helped me sort it out!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">