• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In dire need of advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SleeplessFather

From Georgia Charged in Illinois

Ok Im trying to figure out how to word this being as until now my son has never had any type of run ins with the law. Im from Georgia but my son got arrested in Illinois. He is out on an iBond but at the same time what he did was very immature. He lied to a state police officer and was given the offense of disorderly conduct. The sheet he was given said it was "provoking a breach of the Peace." and they wrote it up as a class 3 misdemeanor. My son is a good kid but at the same time he makes mistakes like everyone else does and him lying finally caught up to him. He has no prior record or convictions but Im still worried that Im going to lose my son. I guess what im more so asking is what I need to be prepared for. He lives in Georgia as well but was arrested up there. Im a concerned parent and just need some answers. Is he going to get locked up for this? I hope this has been a big enough wake up call for him that he will see that lying gets him nowhere. Is there anything that can be done perhaps to make a Plea Bargain with the Prosecuting attorney? Ill be consulting with an attorney local to the chicago area after the holiday but I need to know what I should be asking. Anything will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:

angiesmom

SleeplessFather said:
From Georgia Charged in Illinois

Ok Im trying to figure out how to word this being as until now my son has never had any type of run ins with the law. Im from Georgia but my son got arrested in Illinois. He is out on an iBond but at the same time what he did was very immature. He lied to a state police officer and was given the offense of disorderly conduct. The sheet he was given said it was "provoking a breach of the Peace." and they wrote it up as a class 3 misdemeanor. My son is a good kid but at the same time he makes mistakes like everyone else does and him lying finally caught up to him. He has no prior record or convictions but Im still worried that Im going to lose my son. I guess what im more so asking is what I need to be prepared for. He lives in Georgia as well but was arrested up there. Im a concerned parent and just need some answers. Is he going to get locked up for this? I hope this has been a big enough wake up call for him that he will see that lying gets him nowhere. Is there anything that can be done perhaps to make a Plea Bargain with the Prosecuting attorney? Ill be consulting with an attorney local to the chicago area after the holiday but I need to know what I should be asking. Anything will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
If all he got ticketed for was false information and disorderly conduct, the chances of him going to jail for very long are slim. Maybe he'd get 30 days or so. He'll probably get some real nice fines to pay, though.

outonbail

You don't need to be doing anything. Your son is an adult, so it is time for him to learn that there are consequences for acting like a fool when he's in public. Let him work this out on his own, he'll be a better man for having done so.

I hope this has been a big enough wake up call for him that he will see that lying gets him nowhere.
If you really want this to be a wake up call, don't bail him out of the problem his actions got him into. Doing so will only let him off the hook.
This will be a much needed growing experience for him and you don't want to go and spoil it now do you?

Chicago isn't likely going to do much more than slap his hand, fine him, maybe give him some community service and place him on probation. Tell him to request a public defender.

This way you can save your money until he does something really stupid and gets charged with a felony, that's when he'll really need a lawyer. Which, may be in the very near future if he gets to skate through this one unscathed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">