• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination during traffic stop for prior unrelated conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spike1985

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was recently stopped near my residence for an out headlight. Because I am on probation, the police searched my person and vehicle. The person I was with was also on informal probation, and her property, including her purse, was also searched. However, the police took my wallet and ran every one of my access cards on a machine to determine if they were valid. When we asked why, one of the officers said it was because I had a prior conviction involving credit card fraud. They did not check the access cards of the person I was with. They ended up letting me go without a citation.

Did the police have the right to run my access cards? I feel as if I were discriminated against because of my past conviction (which was years ago - I've already served my sentence and completed my probation for that charge), especially given the fact that the police did not check the access cards of the person I was with, even though she also is on probation and subject to search.

Ladyback1

I was recently stopped near my residence for an out headlight. Because I am on probation, the police searched my person and vehicle. The person I was with was also on informal probation, and her property, including her purse, was also searched. However, the police took my wallet and ran every one of my access cards on a machine to determine if they were valid. When we asked why, one of the officers said it was because I had a prior conviction involving credit card fraud. They did not check the access cards of the person I was with. They ended up letting me go without a citation.

Did the police have the right to run my access cards? I feel as if I were discriminated against because of my past conviction (which was years ago - I've already served my sentence and completed my probation for that charge), especially given the fact that the police did not check the access cards of the person I was with, even though she also is on probation and subject to search.
Hun? You are going to be discriminated against for the rest of your life due to your poor decision making skills.
However, there was no illegal discrimination. To the best of my knowledge, being a convicted felon is not a protected class.

justalayman

of course you were discriminated against. Didn't you read the terms of your probation where they said they can do exactly that?

Proserpina

Discrimination aside (and there is a world of difference between legal and illegal discrimination), some practical advice: don't hang out with other criminals. Yes, yes, I know, I know - heard it all before. First time, got caught, will never...yes, we really have heard it all before. But the point remains. Pick your friends wisely.

Fair? Perhaps, perhaps not. But valid? Absolutely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">