• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissed felony charges and employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pantheria2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I have searched the forums for this topic and while I have found many threads, I didn't see any for Iowa.

2 years ago I, along with my roommate, were arrested for 2nd degree theft along with ongoing criminal conduct(a felony). I had nothing to do with the crime, but because I lived in the house and was a "smart girl" I was charged along with him. Bottom line, I was dismissed of the charges as the prosecution had not a stitch of actual evidence besides the "hunch" of a crappy detective. I spent a night in jail and was seriously the worst time of my life dealing with all of this. I continued to stay in school and just graduated with a degree in Social Work in May. I am now getting job interviews, but I am genuinely concerned with how to address this issue in my past. Many of the job applications I have completed only ask about child or elder abuse accusations or convictions, not about other records. Do I supply this information if not specifically asked? Will this record affect my chances of getting a job? I can still type in my full name in Google and my arrest record still shows up from the local newspaper, so I realize that is working against me. Is there anythings else I can do to keep this from ruining job chances at this point?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not need to volunteer the information if it is not expressly asked for. If, however, a question is asked to which a literal and truthful answer would require that you acknowledge the arrest, then you should acknowledge it and provide a detailed explanation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">