• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disorderly House Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ritch54

What is the name of your state? - Georgia

My son and his 2 roomates were recently arrested for a Disorderly House charge.We posted a $1,000 bond and they were released and have to appear before a Magistrate Judge this month. The boys said they were asleep at 6A.M. when they were awakened by 5 cops putting guns in their faces,then throwing them to the floor and handcuffing them. They claim that someone called them and said there was a fight in the apartment and they had been knocking on the door for 5 minutes so they went to the Security Guard and had him let them in the apartment.

The boys told the cops there was no fight and they were all sleeping so they didnt hear the knocking so the cop looks around and says since you wont admit to the fight we are going to charge you with a Disorderly House Charge (evidently this is a common charge in college towns) When I called the City Police Department the lady said it would not go on the State Records as it was a City Misdemeanor charge and the fine is usually $610.00.

My question is do we need a lawyer for this charge. The boys are going to plead not guilty.

Thanks for any input

Son of Slam

Ritch54 said:
What is the name of your state? - Georgia

My son and his 2 roomates were recently arrested for a Disorderly House charge.We posted a $1,000 bond and they were released and have to appear before a Magistrate Judge this month. The boys said they were asleep at 6A.M. when they were awakened by 5 cops putting guns in their faces,then throwing them to the floor and handcuffing them. They claim that someone called them and said there was a fight in the apartment and they had been knocking on the door for 5 minutes so they went to the Security Guard and had him let them in the apartment.

The boys told the cops there was no fight and they were all sleeping so they didnt hear the knocking so the cop looks around and says since you wont admit to the fight we are going to charge you with a Disorderly House Charge (evidently this is a common charge in college towns) When I called the City Police Department the lady said it would not go on the State Records as it was a City Misdemeanor charge and the fine is usually $610.00.

My question is do we need a lawyer for this charge. The boys are going to plead not guilty.

Thanks for any input

Being that the color of the "Disorderly House" laws pertain to gaming, prostitution and drinking, perhaps just one isolated fight might not qualify as running a disorderly house. Are you sure that is all that is going on there?

Ritch54

That's all they told me. I am getting a copy of the Police Report this week to see if they left out anything. I know they don't gamble or deal with prostitutes. As for drinking they were all asleep but like most College kids their apartment is decorated with beer posters etc, however they are over 21 years old.

B

Boxcarbill

If they are going to plead, "not guilty" and expect any chance of being found not quilty, then they need an attorney. Otherwise pleading, "not guilty" will merely be an exercise in futility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">