• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do airlines screen for arrest warrants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princesscarrieb

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I have a question. I have an outstanding warrant and am going to be flying from CA to NV in the next month. I was just wondering if airlines (in particular, Southwest) does background checks or something with your id when you check in? Can I be arrested on the spot?

JETX

"Hi, I have a question. I have an outstanding warrant and am going to be flying from CA to NV in the next month. I was just wondering if airlines (in particular, Southwest) does background checks or something with your id when you check in?"
*** No. The airlines do not have any 'police' authority. Any screening is done under the auspices of the TSA (Transportation Security Administration). The following comes from their website:
" Myth: CAPPS II will run a criminal background check on every passenger.
Fact: No, CAPPS II will NOT run a criminal background check on every passenger. Instead, CAPPS II will perform an identity authentication and a risk assessment. Specifically, CAPPS II will do two things:

It will assess the identity of every passenger by matching limited information about the traveler, including name, date of birth, address, and phone number, with commercially available information. This check is done between databases outside of a government firewall. CAPPS II will not bring any information contained in the commercial databases into the government's system.

CAPPS II also performs a risk assessment, including a check against lists of terrorists and known or suspected threats, to detect individuals who may pose a terrorist-related threat or who have outstanding Federal or state warrants for crimes of violence.

Myth: If a passenger has several speeding tickets or misdemeanors on his/her record, does this mean that he or she cannot fly?
Fact: No, a speeding ticket or misdemeanor in and of itself will not bar a passenger from flying. CAPPS II will assess a passenger's identity and perform a risk assessment. The aggregated information will determine screening level. In the rare instances where a particular traveler has been identified as having known or suspected links to terrorism, or an outstanding warrant for violent criminal behavior, appropriate law enforcement officers will be notified."
Source: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=09000519800626f4

"Can I be arrested on the spot?"
*** In the extremely unlikely chance that a passenger is found to be a risk, that passenger MAY be detained and local authorities (police, etc.) be contacted.

So, unless you plan on standing in the middle of the airport and making terroristic threats of retaliation for your outstanding warrant(s), the chance of your being detained due to that warrant are somewhere between zero and nil.

B

blameshifting

CAPPS II was never implemented and is dead

The correct answer is, the airline doesn't run a background check, they do "do something" with your ID and depending on what your warrant is for you might be arrested at the airport.

BelizeBreeze

blameshifting said:

The correct answer is, the airline doesn't run a background check, they do "do something" with your ID and depending on what your warrant is for you might be arrested at the airport.

You know, if you keep guessing you just MIGHT get one right.....in 2057 :rolleyes:

B

blameshifting

BelizeBreeze said:
You know, if you keep guessing you just MIGHT get one right.....in 2057 :rolleyes:
Still uncertain where the tree is BelizeBreeze?

JETX

blameshifting said:
What the hell kind of drugs are you on??? You have YET to provide a single accurate post on this forum!!

And though CAPPS II is not in place yet, I only offered it as a quick FACTUAL example of the types of information that they (TSA) will be using and the FACT that the airlines are NOT responsible for passenger screening.

CAPPS II is still 'alive' and will be implemented. Here are the FACTS on it (as of Mar 2004):
"STATUS OF CAPPS II
Issues Identified by Congress Remain Unresolved: Both the FY 2004 Homeland Security Appropriations Act and the Vision 100 - Century of Aviation Reauthorization Act identified eight concerns that must be addressed before CAPPS II may be implemented on other than a test basis. These concerns relate to privacy, due process, accuracy, and the effectiveness of the system. According to GAO, although TSA is in various stages of addressing each of these eight issues, as of January 1, 2004, only one - the establishment of an internal oversight board to review the development of CAPPS II - had been fully addressed. Due to system development delays, uncertainties regarding when needed passenger data will be obtained, and the need to finalize key policy decisions, TSA was unable to identify a time frame for when all remaining issues will be fully addressed.

CAPPS II Is Behind Schedule: The development of CAPPS II is being delayed because TSA has been unable to obtain passenger data needed for testing from air carriers. Air carriers have thus far refused to provide the data due to privacy concerns. As a result, according to the General Accounting Office (GAO), TSA has delayed the CAPPS II initial operating capability date - the point at which the system will be ready to operate with one airline - from November 2003 to a date unknown.

Due to the lack of passenger data, TSA has not yet stress-tested CAPPS II or conducted other testing to fully demonstrate the effectiveness and accuracy of the system’s search tools in correctly assessing passenger risk levels. According to GAO, TSA officials believe they will continue to have difficulty in obtaining data for both stress and other testing until TSA issues a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to require airlines to provide passenger data to TSA. TSA plans to issue a Security Directive compelling U.S. air carriers to provide historical PNR data for testing purposes, as well as an NPRM proposing to require airlines to provide future passenger data that will be used when CAPPS II is operational. After receiving passenger data, TSA says 90 days will be required to stress-test the system and test the accuracy of the CAPPS II algorithms that produce the identity authentication and risk scores.

Critical CAPPS II Plans Are Not Complete: GAO found that TSA has not yet developed critical elements associated with sound project planning, including a plan for what specific functionality will be delivered, by when, and at what cost throughout the development of the system. According to GAO, failure to complete these key system development planning activities puts CAPPS II at risk of providing decreased functionality at increased cost and behind schedule. "
Source: http://www.house.gov/transportation/press/press2004/release18.html

And the following from the Deputy Administrator of the TSA last month:
"A total of $60 million is requested for FY 2005 for the second generation Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-screening System (CAPPS II). CAPPS II is a limited, automated prescreening system authorized by Congress. Developed with the utmost concern for individual privacy rights, CAPPS II would modernize the prescreening system currently implemented by the airlines. CAPPS II is expected to employ technology and data analysis techniques to conduct an information-based identity authentication for each passenger using commercial information along with data each passenger provides to the airline upon making a reservation."
Source: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=09000519800a612f

Clearly, you are ignorant of the FACTS when you claimed that CAPPS II is 'dead', huh??

P

princesscarrieb

I'm not sure exactly what the warrant would be called. I was convicted of theft. Was sentenced to 80 days of work project. I completed 40 days, then got put on bedrest because i was 9 months pregnant. Well they issued a warrant for failing to complete my sentence. I went to court about a week ago to get it reinstated, the judge there was just a fill in judge, the normal judge was on vacation, and said that I had to wait until the normal judge (the one who sentenced me) returned from vacation so I could get it reinstated. My court date is after the date I'm supposed to go on vacation is for. The public defender I have said he's not sure if they can see this info when I board an airline. He didn't think so but wasn't for sure so I was just wondering if anyone on here could help me.

B

blameshifting

JETX said:
What the hell kind of drugs are you on??? You have YET to provide a single accurate post on this forum!!

And though CAPPS II is not in place yet, I only offered it as a quick FACTUAL example of the types of information that they (TSA) will be using and the FACT that the airlines are NOT responsible for passenger screening.

CAPPS II is still 'alive' and will be implemented. Here are the FACTS on it (as of Mar 2004):
"STATUS OF CAPPS II
[/url]

Clearly, you are ignorant of the FACTS when you claimed that CAPPS II is 'dead', huh??
Thanks for giving me the facts about CAPPS II as of March 2004.

Unfortunately it is now July 2004 and CAPPS II is dead

Just like your idiotic rambling about check forgery not being "regulated" by states because banks are federally regulated you don't know what you are talking about here either.

"Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge bluntly told a reporter Wednesday that the Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-Screening System II, or CAPPS II, was effectively "dead"

That would be Wednesday July 14, 2004.

Go play catch up on why CAPPS II is dead.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Next time quote the entire paragraph.

"Secretary Ridge last Wednesday indicated to a reporter that CAPPS II was completely dead, while other DHS officials said that the airline profiling plan would merely be "reshaped and repackaged," creating confusion about the program’s fate. "

CAPPS II Section of HR 2115, the "Century of Aviation Reauthorization Act"
is still on in committee and awaiting reports from both the GAO and TSA's own internal privacy audit.

Still batting 1000 I see :rolleyes:

JETX

blameshifting said:
"Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge bluntly told a reporter Wednesday that the Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-Screening System II, or CAPPS II, was effectively "dead"
Though it is possible that you might be correct (after all, my field is the law and not transportation), I find it interesting that you quote what appears to be a headline news story... but without ANY link to any news organization. Why is that?? Could it be that it is merely another 'Michael Moore' made up rumor?? Or is it real??

After doing a cursory search, I think I may have found your 'source' at:
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,64240,00.html?tw=rss.TOP

However, you seem to have omitted part of it....
"Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge bluntly told a reporter Wednesday that the Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-Screening System II, or CAPPS II, was effectively "dead" and jokingly pretended to put a stake in its heart. His comment went far beyond Tuesday's statement to members of Congress by the Transportation Security Administration's acting chief, Adm. David Stone, who said the program's main components were being "reshaped."

Homeland Security spokeswoman Suzanne Luber, however, says both were right. "The name CAPPS II may be dead, but the process of creating an automated passenger pre-screening system to replace the current CAPPS will continue," Luber said. "What form that takes, that's what we will continue to focus on. Due to operational factors (such) as public comments on CAPPS II proposal, we are now redesigning the program itself."

So, okay, I am man enough to admit that my post may not have been literally correct and up-to-the-minute correct. Mea Culpa.

I will also REPEAT that CAPPS II was not the issue in this thread. The writer was "wondering if airlines (in particular, Southwest) does background checks or something with your id when you check in? Can I be arrested on the spot?". My answer to that question is still correct.

Oh, by the way... we are STILL waiting for you to provide information on the courts you recommended over on that tree post. Let me help you by pointing you to where they are:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=188160&page=2&pp=20

B

blameshifting

Gee, you think maybe I might be right? Well how about that.

"Hi, I have a question. I have an outstanding warrant and am going to be flying from CA to NV in the next month. I was just wondering if airlines (in particular, Southwest) does background checks or something with your id when you check in?"
*** No. "

No is the wrong answer. The correct answer is the one I gave. Airlines do "do something" with your ID. As you clearly don't know what they do with your ID I'd suggest you not attempt to answer questions you don't know the answer to.

The correct answer to "Can I be arrested on the spot?" is not your answer which presumes some knowledge of the poster and her warrant and the airline screening system but "Yes".

"Oh, by the way... we are STILL waiting for you to provide information on the courts you recommended over on that tree post. "

I don't know who "we" is but you are the one that recommended a particular court, not me. I recommended that the poster contact a local attorney if he wanted to pursue legal action.

JETX

Trying to explain 'clear logic' to 'brainshifting' is like talking to a rock and hoping that it will eventually be smart enough to talk back. Frustrating.... yes, but something that I can easily turn and walk away from.
And heck, if I get frustrated enough with his crap, I can simply kick him to the side of the road!! :D

B

blameshifting

BelizeBreeze said:
Next time quote the entire paragraph.

"Secretary Ridge last Wednesday indicated to a reporter that CAPPS II was completely dead, while other DHS officials said that the airline profiling plan would merely be "reshaped and repackaged," creating confusion about the program’s fate. "

CAPPS II Section of HR 2115, the "Century of Aviation Reauthorization Act"
is still on in committee and awaiting reports from both the GAO and TSA's own internal privacy audit.

Still batting 1000 I see :rolleyes:
That's two paragraphs, still having trouble with numbers?

I didn't quote anything from whatever article you cut the above out of so why would you expect me to quote "the entire paragraph" (or two or maybe three or four) from your article?

It's dead, go flap your gums about something you actually know something about, whatever that might be.

BelizeBreeze

At least Jet is man enough to admit when he has missed something. You, on the other hand, are still a punk idiot who will never admit to 'playing with the facts.'

Can't deal with the fact that I found and quoted your source word for word? I would expect no less from a high school punk.

Now Jet, please bring out the boot. This idiot has taken enough bandwidth and cause enough confusion on this forum.

B

blameshifting

Playing with the facts? High school punk?

Waaaa, I'm telling mommy you're being mean to me.

If I'm "given the boot" who'll help you find where the trees are located?

But like I told IAAL, if it's in your power to give me the boot, I'm not going to while about it. Forum bullies/****s aren't anything new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">