• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mylescarpenter

This is what it's was supposed to say

Ok make a long story short. I got arrested at my job 20 mins after the officer got the warrant. 3 weeks prior to this the officer showed up at my house to question me but I was at work. The officer told my girlfriend that she's needs to search the house for a Bennie hat. She said she didn't need a warrant cuz I was on probation so she had no choice but to let them search. Minutes later they had my gf call me at work to let me know they wanted to talk to me I said no I didn't want to talk. I left work to go home and they showed up looking for me. A week latter my P.O. Asked me to go in for a meeting I showed up and the officer was their to question me but I refuse to answer any questions. I lefted then 2 weeks later mins after the warrant was issued they showed up at my work to embarrass me and cost me to lose my job. I was on 3 moths away from making the biggest comeback in my life( I was at the lowest of the low in my life before this). They knew I wasn't going to run or be a flight risk I even asked for a volunteer to turn my self in but she decide to embarrass me cost me to lose my job and mess up my whole life every thing I did to change my life around was taken in seconds

Just Blue

Ok make a long story short. I got arrested at my job 20 mins after the officer got the warrant. 3 weeks prior to this the officer showed up at my house to question me but I was at work. The officer told my girlfriend that she's needs to search the house for a Bennie hat. She said she didn't need a warrant cuz I was on probation so she had no choice but to let them search. Minutes later they had my gf call me at work to let me know they wanted to talk to me I said no I didn't want to talk. I left work to go home and they showed up looking for me. A week latter my P.O. Asked me to go in for a meeting I showed up and the officer was their to question me but I refuse to answer any questions. I lefted then 2 weeks later mins after the warrant was issued they showed up at my work to embarrass me and cost me to lose my job. I was on 3 moths away from making the biggest comeback in my life( I was at the lowest of the low in my life before this). They knew I wasn't going to run or be a flight risk I even asked for a volunteer to turn my self in but she decide to embarrass me cost me to lose my job and mess up my whole life every thing I did to change my life around was taken in seconds
What is a "Bennie Hat"? And what U.S. State are you in?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally, if your PO wants to talk to you, then you talk to your PO. Telling them "no" shows really bad judgment (at the least.)

Just Blue

You stole (allegedly) a $20.00 (?) knit hat and are screwing up your probation over it?

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

Ok make a long story short. I got arrested at my job 20 mins after the officer got the warrant.
That's an efficient use of time. And perfectly lawful.

3 weeks prior to this the officer showed up at my house to question me but I was at work.
Okay.

The officer told my girlfriend that she's needs to search the house for a Bennie hat. She said she didn't need a warrant cuz I was on probation so she had no choice but to let them search.
Well, yeah. When you are on Probation in CA, you are almost always subject to search conditions with or without probable cause or reasonable suspicion. And there is no legal requirement that you be present for the search. If you were somehow NOT subject to search conditions, your attorney will quickly be able to suppress any evidence discovered ... unless the girlfriend resides there and gave her consent to search the common areas that she has control over.

Minutes later they had my gf call me at work to let me know they wanted to talk to me I said no I didn't want to talk. I left work to go home and they showed up looking for me. A week latter my P.O. Asked me to go in for a meeting I showed up and the officer was their to question me but I refuse to answer any questions.
Your choice. But, choices can have consequences.

I lefted then 2 weeks later mins after the warrant was issued they showed up at my work to embarrass me and cost me to lose my job.
Well, actually, the police did it because there was an order from a judge COMMANDING the officers to arrest you, the officers knew you were at work, and they found that to be the most expedient way to capture a known fugitive.

Perhaps, in hindsight, it might have been better to have spoken with them, huh? Or, engaged an attorney as you awaited the inevitable end result.

I was on 3 moths away from making the biggest comeback in my life( I was at the lowest of the low in my life before this). They knew I wasn't going to run or be a flight risk I even asked for a volunteer to turn my self in but she decide to embarrass me cost me to lose my job and mess up my whole life every thing I did to change my life around was taken in seconds
No, whatever you did to get charged with a new crime is what YOU did to screw up your life. If you did not do anything, a simple conversation may have cleared things up. As it was, apparently the police had one side of a story and sufficient probable cause to convince the DA that you had committed a crime, and the DA managed to convince a judge that there was sufficient probable cause to seek your arrest.

Understand that neither the police nor the probation officer has the ability to seek an arrest warrant. This is done through the DA who petitions the court.

Mylescarpenter

Ok even if this happen over a year ago it wasn't a recent crime

I've been on probation for over a year with excellent progress doing everything their asking me and staying out of trouble. This crime happen a year ago

CavemanLawyer

A search warrant is literally an order from a court commanding an officer to arrest a person wherever they find them. Even if they intentionally served the warrant at a time and place that would cause you the most harm and embarrassment, they still had a court order allowing it. So at most you could show that they are jerks but no that does not give you any kind of a case against them.

FlyingRon

An arrest warrant is literally an order from a court commanding an officer to arrest a person wherever they find them. Even if they intentionally served the warrant at a time and place that would cause you the most harm and embarrassment, they still had a court order allowing it. So at most you could show that they are jerks but no that does not give you any kind of a case against them.
Fixed that for you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let's cut to the chase.

You asked if you have a case against the police. No, you do not have a case against the police. They did nothing unlawful.

I hope that this is now clear to you.

Time to move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">