• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to cooperate? Is it a crime to know?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RoseyPosey

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have two questions. First, a short background. Two years ago, my then roommate was arrested for printing fake payroll checks and cashing them at local businesses.
He is still in jail awaiting trial, even though he was caught in the act, he still wants a trial. The cops want me to be involved in the trial. I don't, at all. I only still have contact with them because some of my things were taken when our house was searched. My former roomate is nuts and is a very good liar. i'm afraid if I cooperate with the police in putting this guy in prison, he will tell them i was involved somehow.. which i was not.
My questions... 1. do i have to cooperate with the police. ie, testifying, giving sworn statements, etc.
2. Is it a crime to have knowledge of a crime and not report it, even if you are not involved?

Also, this all happened in Tennessee, i now live in Indiana, if that matters.

Thanks

CdwJava

If you are subpoenaed to court or before a grand jury, you must answer the questions put to you as a witness unless the answers would incriminate YOU in a crime. Failure to answer a subpoena or appear in court will likely result in your arrest until you do.

Tell the truth. Its easy.

Carl

R

RoseyPosey

Thanks for your replies. At the time all this was going on, Chris told us that he was working on people's personal computers at our house for money. Which was at least partly true. We saw several computers come in and out from different people.
Technically, he did share the money he stole with us. At the time, we thought it was legit money. He didn't give us cash, but he was really generous and a show off. We would all go out to dinner and he'd announce half way through that he was paying. He overpaid his share of utilities, stuff like that.
Part of the reason I am so worried about it is because part of his deal was that he was making fake ID's to go with the fake checks. And you guessed it, he made me one too. The police found it when they searched the house. But the investigator basically said he would forget about it and stuck it in his pocket and left. On the search inventory, all the other ID's found are listed, but not mine. Mine was just so i could drink, at the time i was 19. It had all my real information except my birthday, so i think he knew it wasn't for the purpose of cashing fake checks. So I don't believe that I can get in trouble for that now right?
Also, the cop is doing this Opie routine. Everytime I talk to him, he falls all over himself apologizing for one thing or another (like still having my stuff from the search), calling Chris names, and it just seems like overkill. Maybe I watch too much Law and Order but it just feels like he thinks somthing is up so he wants me to feel like he's totally on my side and feel free to confess something.
Anyway, thanks again.

K

krispenstpeter

Just as carl said rosey, you don't HAVE to cooperate if you don't want to or if a subpoena hasn't been issued.

Now, weigh that against possessing a fake I.D., accessory to fraud and duplicity which can all be made against you according to your post.

Is this jerk worth the legal hassel you'll find yourself in when the detective finally tires of your games?

R

RoseyPosey

Part of my desire to not be involved any further is that I really don't have much to add. I didn't know anything about the checks to begin with, and now it's been two years. There was extensive media coverage in our small town, my roomates (one of which is now my husband) and I have discussed it, I've discussed it with the police. I honestly couldn't tell you which of the details I remember are from me or the TV or stuff I have pieced together since it happened.

How long would they have to bring charges against me, worst case scenario? Chris stole 25,000 from several businesses, was making fake ID's and had two others that were caught with him in the act at a local Kroger. The only actual evidence they have pertaining to me is the ID for me. Which was not inventoried or taken out of the house with the rest of the evidence. There were also no female names used on any checks that were cashed or found in the car with them when they were arrested.

Last edited:
D

d8ddysgirl

RoseyPosey said:
Part of my desire to not be involved any further is that I really don't have much to add. I didn't know anything about the checks to begin with, and now it's been two years. There was extensive media coverage in our small town, my roomates (one of which is now my husband) and I have discussed it, I've discussed it with the police. I honestly couldn't tell you which of the details I remember are from me or the TV or stuff I have pieced together since it happened.

How long would they have to bring charges against me, worst case scenario? Chris stole 25,000 from several businesses, was making fake ID's and had two others that were caught with him in the act at a local Kroger. The only actual evidence they have pertaining to me is the ID for me. Which was not inventoried or taken out of the house with the rest of the evidence. There were also no female names used on any checks that were cashed or found in the car with them when they were arrested.

You sure know alot for not knowing anything. How can you live with someone and not know whats going on?? And don't lie. I would refer you to the case against Martha Stewart on what happens if you do.

stephenk

how did your current husband benefit from your friend's illegal activity?

you and hubby may be in this thing deeper than you think.

R

RoseyPosey

d8ddysgirl said:
You sure know alot for not knowing anything. How can you live with someone and not know whats going on??
My husband and I both had full time jobs. All of this was happening while we were gone or was happening at other places. He had two other people that were actually working with him. As I said earlier, I know so much because it was on the news, I've talked with the police and I've figured things out that he was lying about. I don't know anything first hand, which is all that is relevant to the police.

stephenk said:
how did your current husband benefit from your friend's illegal activity?
Chris was very generous with his stolen money. He took the house out to dinner several times, would fill up my gas tank in my car when he borrowed it, small things like that. It was always cash though. He didn't put any of the stolen money in the bank, that we know of.

stephenk said:
you and hubby may be in this thing deeper than you think.
That's what I'm afraid of and that's why I'm here. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">