• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have to Give Police Info.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BSharon

What is the name of your state?OR/FL

My ex has a warrant out in FL for violation of probation. He is living in OR (my state) and used to live with me. I am wondering if the police come to my house, do I have to answer questions about him, such as where he is living? What is the likelihood they will show up? Charge is Grand Theft. Thanks.

CdwJava

It depends on the laws in youre state, but it is possible that if you lie to them about where he is (i.e. "I don't know" when you, in fact, DO know) that they can come back and charge you with a criminal offense. If you really feel that it is in everyone's best interest to keep this criminal on the loose, you can always simply say, "Sorry, I can't help you." ... or something like that.

If you intend to lie, check with a local attorney first and see if you can be charged in doing so.

However, if you want to stay out of trouble and NOT tick off the local cops, if they come and ask where he is ... TELL THEM!

However, the chances of anyone coming around looking for him on a VOP warrant across the country is slim. He'll just have to be satisfied that he won't likely be eligible for government aid, loans, benefits, and many jobs because of the warrant. I hope he has a lot of family to support him.

- Carl

Just Blue

BSharon said:
What is the name of your state?OR/FL

My ex has a warrant out in FL for violation of probation. He is living in OR (my state) and used to live with me. I am wondering if the police come to my house, do I have to answer questions about him, such as where he is living? What is the likelihood they will show up? Charge is Grand Theft. Thanks.

Okay! Carl gave you the Legal ramifications...but I gotta ask.....WHY OH WHY is this LOSER still your boyfriend?? WHY would you risk your freedom for this POS? Isn't life hard enough without bring this kind of drama into it???? :confused:

You did not say whether it was your day to watch him or not....lol....but........in my opinion, any statement you make to a police officer pulls you further into the drama, and the more you talk, the more information there is for potential misinterpretation later.

If they came to visit me....I would step out on the porch, close the door to the house behind me, and politely advise them I had no information of any value, but will contact them if I have something to offer in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">