• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to talk?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WisconsinR6

Wisconsin

I had a party and things got out of hand.. the police came and dealt with the issues outside.. A car had two windows smashed and was dented all over.. two people were hit by a car and one was hauled off in a stretcher..

People filed police reports and my name came up as having a party where all of this took place. A officer already talked to my friend and he said that officer was going to come talk to me about the incident and selling alcohol to underage people. We had a keg. I'm 20.

When he comes to talk to me, do I have to tell him anything or can I tell him I don't want to talk. or comment on anything.. can I tell him about the things that happened outside and when he asked about the beer just tell him I don't feel comfortable talking about it with an attorney? What can he legally do about the party a week after it happened, as far as providing alcohol? If I refuse to talk, can he arrest me?

CdwJava

Do you HAVE to talk to him? No. Can he arrest you based upon the observations he makes and statements of others since he will not have the benefit of your side of the story? Possibly (depending on the nature of crimes alleged and the laws of arrest in WI ... in CA these are likely misedemeanors and would not be arrestable so long after the event). More than likely, he would seek a warrant for your arrest and then you could say your piece in court. Though, that MIGHT be preferable than confessing.

If you choose not to say anything, just shut up and ask for a lawyer - no NOT lie! Lying is a charge unto itself.

Chances are, they KNOW what went on there already. They probably have people that have told them they got the beer or booze at your place. Your statement will probably only confirm that. But, they have to ask. Personally, if it were my report, I'd be tickled if you refused as it would mean less for me to write and I probably still have the evidence to submit to the prosecutor.

However, you may also face civil suits for damage caused by people attending your party as well as assorted contributing and alcohol charges.

You migth consider talking to an attorney prior to the police contacting you.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">