• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do misdemeanor warrants ever expire?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tesseract314

Would a misdemeanor warrant for shoplifting (<$20) ever expire? Someone close to me was arrested (and at the time they were told the only reason they were being arrested instead of ticketed is because they had no ID on them) and later paid and were released. Well, they didn't realize that they had a court date (they thought the payment and release was the end of it) and they live in a different state. (The state this occurred in was WI). They found out that one exists through happenstance, and there has been no correspondence from WI about it. I can't imagine extradition is a possibility. My question is do these things ever expire? Will this impede a job application or international travel?

justalayman

QUOTE=tesseract314]Would a misdemeanor warrant for shoplifting (<$20) ever expire?
No
[
I can't imagine extradition is a possibility.
Probably not but they could keep you locked up until the other state decides it is not going to extradite

My question is do these things ever expire?
again, no
Will this impede a job application or international travel?
[/QUOTE]
It's possible

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">