• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do the police have the right to continue asking me questions after i ask for a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mamacrissy

What is the name of your state? ny
i was brought in for questioning and when the police in formed me that they thought i was the person the were looking for i asked for a lawyer. do they have the right to do that? they also never got me a lawyer. Is that right? i continually asked for a lawyer and they kept going on with thier questions are they allowed to do that?

P

Pfaffing85690

i was brought in for questioning and when the police in formed me that they thought i was the person the were looking for i asked for a lawyer. do they have the right to do that?
Do what? Let you ask for a lawyer? Yes they do.

they also never got me a lawyer. Is that right?
I don't know. Did they?

i continually asked for a lawyer and they kept going on with thier questions are they allowed to do that?
Actually no. But then, you also have the right to tell them to stick their questions up their rears.

One thing you never mentioned is whether you were simply questioned or arrested. At the point where you asked for an attorney to be present and they continued asking questions, you should ask "Am I under arrest?" If the answer is yes then they would have booked you. However, if the answer was no, you had every right to stand up and walk out.

Oh, and by the way, the police do not have the obligation to "get" you an attorney. That is your responsibility. You simply have the right to have an attorney present.

M

mamacrissy

They wouldn't even let me call for a lawyer wouldn't let me talk to my husband so he coud get me a lawyer.

P

Pfaffing85690

And did you ask if you were under arrest? WERE you ever arrested?

HomeGuru

mamacrissy said:
What is the name of your state? ny
i was brought in for questioning and when the police in formed me that they thought i was the person the were looking for i asked for a lawyer. do they have the right to do that? they also never got me a lawyer. Is that right? i continually asked for a lawyer and they kept going on with thier questions are they allowed to do that?
**A: so what did you do? What crimes did you commit?

M

mamacrissy

They told me no you aren't under arrest at this time but we still have questions for you. I told them that if they wanted to ask me questions thaey would have to let me obtain a lawyer. They again ignored my request. I said if i'm not under arrest i would like to go home then. They then told me i wasn't going home just yet. But still never gave me a lawyer.

M

mamacrissy

I didn't do anything thats the problem i am bieng falsley accused of stealling food from the resturaunt that i use to work at.

P

Pfaffing85690

And at that point why did you not get up and walk out? There's more to this story that we are not hearing.

M

mamacrissy

no i am not leaving anything out this unfortunatley is how it happened still doesn't make alot of sense to me either. I told them i am going home and they said you cant. The cop said that thing will go alot easier if i coroperate with them. I said well i have nothing to hide but im not answering your questions until i am givin the chance to obtain a lawyer.

P

Pfaffing85690

And WERE you ever charged with anything? I'm not going to keep asking the same questions....either answer or I'm gone.

M

mamacrissy

yes i was charged after they badgered me and ignored my request for a lawyer.

P

Pfaffing85690

o.k. now the important question. What did your attorney say after you explained this situation to him/her?

M

mamacrissy

She told me that this police station is known for using these tactics weather they be right or wrong. She told me that after we clear my name then she said i can do something about the police and how the treated me. She pretty much told me it's my word against the cops word. It's not going to be easy to discredit a police officer

P

Pfaffing85690

And so then why are you coming here for another opinion? Or did you think that your attorney was telling you something wrong? If that is the case, then fire your attorney.

M

mamacrissy

look you dont have to be rude i am just a lil scared and concerned about what has happened to me. I came here for advice thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">