• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do the police put a tracker on your new DMV ID card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

horsetrot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Do they have to get a warrant to do that, or is putting a tracker on it part of the normal 2-week processing time?

justalayman

A tracker on your license or ID card? Just what kind of "tracker"'are you suggesting they put on the millions of ID cards or DL's in a financially feasible manner and then have the facilities to be able to actually track them?

horsetrot

A tracker on your license or ID card? Just what kind of "tracker"'are you suggesting they put on the millions of ID cards or DL's in a financially feasible manner and then have the facilities to be able to actually track them?
well I heard about some dept.s putting GPS tracking on a car or a license plate, I figure it's the same but smaller on a DL.

I don't know how much it would cost but wouldn't a dept. as large as NYC's have all the resources and technological capabilities they need to do this?

Just Blue

well I heard about some dept.s putting GPS tracking on a car or a license plate, I figure it's the same but smaller on a DL.

I don't know how much it would cost but wouldn't a dept. as large as NYC's have all the resources and technological capabilities they need to do this?
Why would they do this to you? :confused:

Nerver mind. Perhaps "CPS" is still looking for you.

Px Hx

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

A GPS tracker would be unfeasible due to its size if you wanted stealth. It could be molded into a logo. It is theoretically possibly to use and RFID chip, which will be read by devices strategically located to pickup signals. As of 2003, an RFID chip is available the size and width of a period made with a pencil.

Last edited:

horsetrot

A GPS tracker would be unfeasible due to its size if you wanted stealth. It could be molded into a logo. It is theoretically possibly to use and RFID chip, which will be read by devices strategically located to pickup signals. As of 2003, an RFID chip is available the size and width of a period made with a pencil.
So does every new ID card come issued with an RFID chip, or does a dept. need to obtain a search warrant before it places an RFID chip on a card?

OHRoadwarrior

So does every new ID card come issued with an RFID chip, or does a dept. need to obtain a search warrant before it places an RFID chip on a card?
Has it occurred to you that an RFID can easily be injected via a doctors visit and programmed with your stats when entering a gov't building or via TSA screening when you present ID? A GPS tracker could be inserted during simple outpatient surgery.

aardvarc

Has it occurred to you that an RFID can easily be injected via a doctors visit and programmed with your stats when entering a gov't building or via TSA screening when you present ID? A GPS tracker could be inserted during simple outpatient surgery.
Or via retnal insertion when looking into the machine for the eye test. Everyone forgets that one.

CavemanLawyer

Per a US Supreme Court case (I think from last year) yes mobile tracking devices are considered a search and require a search warrant supported by probable cause. Prior to that case different states had varying requirements for law enforcement to obtain one, but it still required some degree of evidence of a crime and some sort of court order. The typical mobile tracking device that would be placed on a vehicle costs right around $5,000. One that was small enough and hidden enough to be placed on an ID card would be exceptionally expensive, especially for the ridiculous purpose of.... tracking every citizen in New York?

In short, I can guarantee you that there will not be a tracking device on your DMV card when you receive it.

OHRoadwarrior

We know Gov't agencies would never engage in any unlawful activities against US citizens don't we?

Per a US Supreme Court case (I think from last year) yes mobile tracking devices are considered a search and require a search warrant supported by probable cause. Prior to that case different states had varying requirements for law enforcement to obtain one, but it still required some degree of evidence of a crime and some sort of court order. The typical mobile tracking device that would be placed on a vehicle costs right around $5,000. One that was small enough and hidden enough to be placed on an ID card would be exceptionally expensive, especially for the ridiculous purpose of.... tracking every citizen in New York?

In short, I can guarantee you that there will not be a tracking device on your DMV card when you receive it.

CdwJava

In CA we do not equip licenses and ID cards with any kind of tracking chip, and if we were to put one on your car we'd need a search warrant. So, no, we can't just pull out an iPhone and track you for grins and giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">