• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do they send warrants certified letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather2

What is the name of your state? Texas

I checked my mail today and I have a certified letter from the Irving police at the post office. I am worried because after my last arrest they accused me of doing the same thing before(which I didn't BTW). Do they send warrants certified letter?

Last edited:

CdwJava

They might tell you by letter in order to give you a chance to take care of things beforehand. I suppose it really depends on the warrant.

It doesn't happen in my state (to my knowledge), but TX is a different world in many respects.

- Carl

Heather2

CdwJava said:
They might tell you by letter in order to give you a chance to take care of things beforehand. I suppose it really depends on the warrant.

It doesn't happen in my state (to my knowledge), but TX is a different world in many respects.

- Carl
Thanks Carl but I was hoping you would say they didn't deliver warrants by certified mail.:)

racer72

In the thousands of posts I have read on this and other legal sites, I have never heard of a warrant being sent to anybody, certified or regular mail. I would bet that it is a notice to appear in court and by sending it certified, they are making sure you receive it. Probably a lot cheaper than using a process server. Ignoring it won't make it go away either, the police and courts are smart enough to know that many people will think that way.

Heather2

Thanks guys. Racer is proabaly right. I may be getting sued by a credit card company. I'll let everyone know when I go pick it up tomorrow.

ceara19

Heather2 said:
Thanks guys. Racer is proabaly right. I may be getting sued by a credit card company. I'll let everyone know when I go pick it up tomorrow.
If you were being sued in civil court, the notice would be mailed by the COUNTY Sheriff's Office, not the city police.

More then likely, Carl is right and it is a "warning" to take care of a matter BEFORE a warrant is issued. Have you received a ticket or bounced a check in Irving?

Heather2

ceara19 said:
If you were being sued in civil court, the notice would be mailed by the COUNTY Sheriff's Office, not the city police.

More then likely, Carl is right and it is a "warning" to take care of a matter BEFORE a warrant is issued. Have you received a ticket or bounced a check in Irving?
No bounced check and I did receive a ticket many months ago but I did community service to take care of it. The folks at officer.com don't think it is either one. So I have no clue what it could be. I'll post back tomorrow when I find out.

ceara19

Heather2 said:
No bounced check and I did receive a ticket many months ago but I did community service to take care of it. The folks at officer.com don't think it is either one. So I have no clue what it could be. I'll post back tomorrow when I find out.
There's also the possibility that it isn't even from the Irving Police Department. A few years ago, a friend of mine got several messages from the "Arlington PD". When she called back, it was a debt collection agency. I forget what the PD actually stood for, but they made it sound as if they were the police department.

Heather2

ceara19 said:
There's also the possibility that it isn't even from the Irving Police Department. A few years ago, a friend of mine got several messages from the "Arlington PD". When she called back, it was a debt collection agency. I forget what the PD actually stood for, but they made it sound as if they were the police department.
Are you from Texas or is there another Arlington somewhere? I hope that's all it is but on the receipt it says Irving police.

ceara19

Heather2 said:
Are you from Texas or is there another Arlington somewhere? I hope that's all it is but on the receipt it says Irving police.
There are other Arlington's but I'm talking about the one in Texas. If you have the receipt, check the address listed against the address for the Irving PD. At the very least, it should have the zip code listed. The physical address for the PD is 305 N. O'Connor Irving, TX 75061. The PO Box address has a 75014 zip code. If the receipt doesn't match either of these, chances are it wasn't sent by the actual police department.

TSOL

I have seen this type oof tatic used before in NC for worthless checks. They would send a letter to the writer of the check informing them that they needed to come down to the police Dept. to clear up a matter of a bounced check. Upon arrival the person was arrested and taken across the street to the jail and had to bond out. I spoke with the head of this unit and he said that it was avery effective and inexpensive way for them to clear up bounced checks. He said that they were able to allocate manpower to more pressing matters as most people would come in after getting the letter if not them they would send some officers out looking for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">