• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do You Have to Pull Over in A Deserted Area?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

Hello All:

I am just posting this out of curiosity not because it has ever happened to me :) If you are pulled over for speeding, say late at night, on a road that is well traveled by day but quite quiet at night, with not alot of residences or open businesses, do you have the right to "move" the stop to a more populated area? (I am asking this as a woman, though it could be applied to a man who has been pulled over as well). Do you have to get out of the car? I'm not asking about fleeing the scene (!) just if this is acceptable. If so, how would you go about letting the officer know?

Not a pressing need to know on my part, but thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to answer. :D

CdwJava

Most agencies are aware that there are people who are uncomfortable pulling over in barren locales. However, if you do not yield, and continue on from the time the officer attempts the stop, it is very likely that you would be chraged with an additional offense. The best way to indicate that you want to yield somewhere else is to put your hand out and point to where you are going to go ... but, if it's more than just down the road, you likely aren't going to be able to do it without penalty.

Unless the officer orders you out, you do not have to get out. If you do have to get out, you can tell the officer you will be happy to keep your hands on the wheel and not move until another officer arrives ... tell him when there is another officer, you will get out of the car.

Each agency and state has different feelings about this. CA is a little sensitive to this because of a couple of highly publicized incidents many years back that still reverberate with us today. But other states may not cut you as much slack as CA might.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

CdwJava said:
Most agencies are aware that there are people who are uncomfortable pulling over in barren locales. However, if you do not yield, and continue on from the time the officer attempts the stop, it is very likely that you would be chraged with an additional offense. The best way to indicate that you want to yield somewhere else is to put your hand out and point to where you are going to go ... but, if it's more than just down the road, you likely aren't going to be able to do it without penalty.

Unless the officer orders you out, you do not have to get out. If you do have to get out, you can tell the officer you will be happy to keep your hands on the wheel and not move until another officer arrives ... tell him when there is another officer, you will get out of the car.

Each agency and state has different feelings about this. CA is a little sensitive to this because of a couple of highly publicized incidents many years back that still reverberate with us today. But other states may not cut you as much slack as CA might.

- Carl
I wouldn't want to stop on 505 north of Hwy 80 at night, no one there but a few cars going very fast and sheep ;) Come to think of it I wouldn't stop on Lake Herman Road at night either :eek:

CdwJava

rmet4nzkx said:
I wouldn't want to stop on 505 north of Hwy 80 at night, no one there but a few cars going very fast and sheep ;) Come to think of it I wouldn't stop on Lake Herman Road at night either :eek:
There are places the officers wouldn't want to stop, either. We're not keen on making stops in dark, secluded locations either ... we get killed from time to time.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

CdwJava said:
There are places the officers wouldn't want to stop, either. We're not keen on making stops in dark, secluded locations either ... we get killed from time to time.

- Carl
You know what happened on Lake Herman Rd? Blue Rock Springs Rd?

Personally...In my experience, I have "put off" being pulled over untill I was at a location that was populated. As a woman, I am concerned when anyone tries to get my attention in the nightime hours. Whether it is police or not.

In my situation......I guess the officer was understanding because as soon as I realized that I was his "point of interest" I slowed and put on my hazards. I did this to let him know I was aware of him and his need/want to pull me over. I drove half a mile like that with him "in tow".

When I stopped at a populated place....He actually thanked me for signalling him to let him know... That I knew he was there...but also for traveling at a (what he described ) "respectful and accomodating pace".

I was not cited for any infraction....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">