• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a "Court Order on Bond" end upon death? Please help my father just passed away!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sassi

Does a "Court Order on Bond" end upon death? Please help my father just passed away!

I'm hoping someone can help me. My father, in the state of Wisconsin, recently passed away. In 1998 he got in some trouble with the law, and had to turn over his guns to the Sheriff's Department for "Safe Keeping" upon a court order on bond per judge. I have the "property receipt" from the sheriff's department and thought I could just pick up the property myself after his death. I was informed that because there was a "court order on bond per judge" that I would have to go to court to get them back. Does the "Court Order" still remain in effect after my father's death? Do I really have to go to court for this? Thanks so much;)

las365

I was informed that because there was a "court order on bond per judge" that I would have to go to court to get them back.
Informed by whom?

I would think thatthe guns are the property of your father's Estate, and the Executor of the Estate would be the proper person to petition the Court to release the weapons.

sassi

Gosh - So I will have to go to court :( I am his only child and everything has been left in my name. My attorney went to the sheriff's department himself to try to get the weapons back for me initially. (the guns had been sitting there since 1998!) He then told me he would have to go to court to get them back for me. Do I really need an attorney to get these guns back or could I do it myself? Or would it be too much trouble for me that I'd be better off having my attorney deal with it. I don't know what to do? Thanks for the advice.

sassi

I forgot to add that I have a "Property Receipt" that I found at my dad's house that stated he "Turned the weapons over to the sheriff's department" for "safe keeping" following a Court Order on Bond per Judge." I was hoping the court order would end because of his death.:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">