• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a hospital ER know if you have a warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lizard1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS
My brother has a warrant, but needs to go to the hospital. Will they know if he has a warrant. He is trying to get an attorney, but has not got the funds together yet. Please let me know ASAP, as he is not doing well.

FlyingRon

Get him medical care. Unless his medical problem is a gunshot or knife wound, the hospital is disinclined to disclose anything.

"Saving up money for a lawyer" is not a particularly good reason for being a fugitive.

justalayman

generally, no, unless the police have made an issue to provide the hospital with some "most wanted" list. That would be very specific to the area involved.

In other words, there is no way to give you an accurate answer.

There are certain types of injuries that are reported to the police though. Knife wounds and gunshot wounds are often reported to the police. If his issue involves anything of the sort, the hospital may be required to contact the police and report it.

Lizard1

Thanks for the replies. He has been going to his regular doctor since the warrant, and gets prescriptions filled. He has paid off the bondsman (5000.), and they have never come back to look for him. This has been going on for 2 years. He has been working, (for cash), and saving to hire a lawyer.

CdwJava

Of course, if you are actively concealing him or aiding him in avoiding the authorities, you might also be charged with a crime and prosecuted.

FlyingRon

generally, no
Generally, means in ALL cases, not USUALLY.

There are certain types of injuries that are reported to the police though. Knife wounds and gunshot wounds are often reported to the police. If his issue involves anything of the sort, the hospital may be required to contact the police and report it.
Not may, in Mississippi gunshot and knife would MUST be reported by medical personnel.

Lizard1

I honestly do not know where he is, as he went upstate to work. I only speak with him by phone or email. He did not want any of the family to know where he is, as for just that reason.

justalayman

FlyingRon;3132731]Generally, means in ALL cases, not USUALLY.

gen·er·al·ly /ˈʤɛnrəli/ adverb
1 [more generally; most generally] : in a general way : in a way that is not detailed or specific
▪ He talked generally about his plans. ▪ I had a generally good day.
2 : in most cases : usually
▪ Generally [=in general], his suggestions have been well-received. ▪ It generally takes about a month for the shipment to arrive. ▪ When stocks are up, bonds are generally down. ▪ Writers generally oppose censorship. = Generally (speaking), writers oppose censorship.
3 : by or to most people
▪ a generally used phrase ▪ This town is generally regarded as a good place to raise kids.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/generally

Synonyms commonly, generally, natch [slang], normally, ordinarily, typically, usually
I suppose it would have been more correct to write: generally speaking

Not may, in Mississippi gunshot and knife would MUST be reported by medical personnel.
it was worded as such as there are other possibilities that may require reporting to the police and there are situations that are not required to be reported but often are, especially if there are suspicious details. It was not meant to speak only to gunshot and knife wounds. It also includes the possibility the hospital could be negligent in their reporting or they are swayed to refuse to report the injury due to some plausible explanation.

Lizard1

If they were really looking for him, would they not notify his doctor, and the pharmacy he always uses? Just wondering?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And how would they know who his doctor is, or what pharmacy he always uses?

Lizard1

Because he had 2 heart attacks just before the warrant, and they would surely be able to see where he is getting his heart med's.

CdwJava

Because he had 2 heart attacks just before the warrant, and they would surely be able to see where he is getting his heart med's.
How would "they" be able to find out where he is getting his heart medication?

Unlike television crime drams, in the real world we cannot tap a few keys on a computer and discover medical billing, prescriptions, the name of your best friend and your first pet.

Is it POSSIBLE that someone at the hospital will know of him or will run his name by the police for some reason? Sure. Anything is POSSIBLE. Is it likely? Not at all.

Banned_Princess

So, your brother would rather DIE then take care of his issue with the law?

Working on the run the last two years, and yet, no lawyer.

Your brother is a synonym for coward. :rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The kind of information you are talking about is not public information and is, in fact, protected under the law. Without a court order or his written authorization, they have no access to that information. And they won't get a court order because MAYBE, if they had his medical information, they MIGHT be able to locate him. That's not how it works.

Watch too much Law and Order, do you?

Banned_Princess

I think the patriot act gave the government power to do anything. All they got to do is want you bad enough and call you a terrorist. then he'll be screwed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">